First Build: From LongEZ to not-so-easy Starship >_<

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This is shaping up. I had very good success building a dual sweep with with my Heaven's Spade Carrier. Take a look at that if you want another idea. They are right about having a separate BEC and you need to make JST split of the main lead from the battery, and depending on your comfort soldering, you many need to buying a setup. While cheap, This can add some un-needed weight. I bought a few as my models get bigger, the weight is less an issue, and the motor count increases.

GMalatrasi

This is shaping up. I had very good success building a dual sweep with with my Heaven's Spade Carrier. Take a look at that if you want another idea. They are right about having a separate BEC and you need to make JST split of the main lead from the battery, and depending on your comfort soldering, you many need to buying a setup. While cheap, This can add some un-needed weight. I bought a few as my models get bigger, the weight is less an issue, and the motor count increases.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by dual sweep.

GMalatrasi

I haven’t had time to work on the Starship yet and the weather hasn’t cooperated to go fly the FT LongEZ so I got the free version of ClearView and hooked up my QX7.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by dual sweep.

Dual sweep refers to a swept wing which has two angles of sweep. Like the Starship which has a more dramatic sweep at the wing roots than at the tips. Aerodynamically it make for a much more stable surface, which is beneficial in a canard design where the center of lift is aft of the CG.

GMalatrasi

Dual sweep refers to a swept wing which has two angles of sweep. Like the Starship which has a more dramatic sweep at the wing roots than at the tips. Aerodynamically it make for a much more stable surface, which is beneficial in a canard design where the center of lift is aft of the CG.
Thanks for the explanation :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
I’ll be watching this as I’ve always thought the starship was/is one of the sleekest planes ever designed.

Hope you’ll consider sharing the plans! ;)

GMalatrasi

I’ll be watching this as I’ve always thought the starship was/is one of the sleekest planes ever designed.

Hope you’ll consider sharing the plans! ;)
Totally agree!

Plans will def be released. But it will take a while.
I’ll probably have a few revisions to the current design as I prototype and test it.
But once it feels like a winner... I’ll share plans and CAD files for it.

PS: I might need to find a qualified test pilot at some point. ‘Cause I doubt I’ll be able to gain the skills needed myself in the time I have.
Line of sight fixed wong flying is a world of difference from multi rotors.
If anyone would like to volunteer, let me know.

Last edited:

GMalatrasi

Well... Not much progress on the Starship unfortunately.
Having family over at my apt really puts a damper on using the living room as a workspace.

But I do have news!
I've upgraded my workbench from a coffee table to 6" of open counter space with lots of storage underneath!!
image1 (1).jpeg
Which means I'll be able to build as I like without taking up common space. :D
Build updates to come soon!

GMalatrasi

Finally got a chance to get back on the Starship build!
Just enough time to start cutting out parts:
Cut out the pieces from the plans and glued the stencils to the foam board
- Yes, it’s black, the store was out of the white.
8711B545-982E-480E-BAEA-D41852BC7268.jpeg
126187F0-E385-440B-8916-A86CBE6620A2.jpeg

And after all the triming, ready for glue:
728938F4-BBE1-45A5-B568-5A245105DD5C.jpeg

More to come soon!

GMalatrasi

Worked on it a bit more today, between laundry and cleaning.
Cut out that engine nacelles al the wing spars.
6BB277ED-6C2A-41C1-80EE-6175236FA181.jpeg

This is the trash from the last two days lol. Gonna need to buy a trash can.
229BFEFB-4D14-4441-8650-163A6F1FB58D.jpeg

GMalatrasi

By the way... Has anyone used the black foam board before?
The paper seemed way easier to peel than the white foam board.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Curious... FT Power Packs? Like a PP-B (Pack B Includes 2 ESC's BLHeli 20A w/XT-60 connectors, 2 Motors Emax 2213-935, 4 Props 2-10X4.5/2-9X4.5 CW&CCW, 6 Emax ES08AII 9 gram servos, 1 Y-power lead XT-60 connectors, 4 20 cm servo extensions, set of linkage stoppers, Allen wrench and screw driver. Pack B $85.00
Or the FT Power Pack C, made for the FT Guinea Pig (1473 mm wingspan) for $10 more.
That's a matter of purpose really. There is a big enough weight and power difference between them that they don't always interchange. one of my current projects I'm using the C=pack twin as the plane is a bomber with a lot of surface, I know it can carry the weight well. but there are other planes that are pushing their weight capacity at a B-pack. A C will work, but it would have to be fast. (which doesn't always work well. (look at the old fogey) The wing isn't build for that kind of speed. (I'm sure folks have done it and had fun, but I hope you see my point.)

As I expand my fleet and motor sizes... I see that each one has a spot. (from Gremlin Quad motors, through A and Fs up through E and those GIANT agricultural quad motors.) Same with the EDFs.
30-50-64-70-80-90mm sizes, perform Very differently.

I'm excited to see where the Tachyon's fit, performance wise.

:unsure: I wonder if the power packs should be labelled some other way.

@GMalatrasi - The build is coming along nicely, keep up the good work! I've heard that about the black foam board too. (I have two sheet set aside for a F-117 Stealth fighter build) It is likely the original formula. The original DTFB was pretty easy to pull off. My nickels worth - Just make sure to glue hinges and edges.

GMalatrasi

@GMalatrasi - The build is coming along nicely, keep up the good work! I've heard that about the black foam board too. (I have two sheet set aside for a F-117 Stealth fighter build) It is likely the original formula. The original DTFB was pretty easy to pull off. My nickels worth - Just make sure to glue hinges and edges.
Yeah I was happy that it was easy to peel off at first, since it was a pain with the white stuff, but then I started thinking "this is a bit too easy" so I'm thinking I'll try to reinforce the edges with foam-safe CA.

GMalatrasi

Well my weekend was extended thanks to the snow, so I was able to work in the Starship some more.
Did a trial run on the carbon fiber reinforced foam spars, but the glues I tried didn’t work, foam-safe CA wicked well into the carbon but didn’t seem to stick to the foam, and the Beacon’s 3-in-1 wouldn’t wick into the carbon and is too flexible.
So I cut new spars and ordered some carbon flat strips to use instead.
I also cut the outer wing pieces.
CC25781E-9463-491C-A9FE-15BB940A0C6C.jpeg
But I ran out of foam board so I’ll need to do a Dollar Tree run.
(After I dig out my car from the snow)
1B9567A3-D109-4C76-9A11-77C851C3B8CD.jpeg