First Build: From LongEZ to not-so-easy Starship >_<

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yup, time to dust yourself off and try again. Glad to hear the damage wasn't worse. Ya know, I think these Long EZ models type models just like to hit the ground. I know mine did. It's almost like they got this deep relationship and you just know they're not meant to be. And everytime you try and break em up it always ends up bad.
Hmm, that's strange, because mine flew excellently:unsure:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Maybe I just got lucky, I did build mine quite lightly running the A pack motor with a 2s 500mah though. I would imagine a plane that small might have some pretty big effects from warped foam or slightly askew incidence angles...

By the way I really like your profile picture, is that a '17 model?

GMalatrasi

Maybe I just got lucky, I did build mine quite lightly running the A pack motor with a 2s 500mah though. I would imagine a plane that small might have some pretty big effects from warped foam or slightly askew incidence angles...

By the way I really like your profile picture, is that a '17 model?
Lol yeah... Foam board tolerances aren't something you can really trust.

Thanks! It's a 2016. (Not that there's any difference from '16 to '17 though)

basslord1124

Master member
I'm not the greatest builder BUT I think mine was a few different issues. One was not being used to launching the thing...the other is weight. I've got some smaller/lighter motors that are just as powerful that I am going to try on it sometime.

GMalatrasi

Haven’t had much time for myself this past month but I finally sat down and rebuilt the canard and nose.
It’s not pretty but it’ll work ^_^
26778B51-4269-4B6F-A5A8-7694C985687B.jpeg

Just need to figure out the thrust line issue.

GMalatrasi

Alright, update time:
Went out to the field Sunday to try flying it again. Unfortunately, no video this time (which would be useful to analyze the "flight" in slow-mo).
It was a short flight and everything happened pretty fast so I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First, I tried an unpowered glide test, but with the extra weight of motors, batteries, and electronics it really doesn't like slow speeds. It just lazily arcs down (probably too high of a wing loading).

Then I went for a low power launch to minimize the thrust line effect... It launched fine but the slow speeds make for tricky controls.
About 12-15 ft out it porpoised a bit and I tried giving it some power, as it started to climb it suddenly slid the tail to the right and then rolled hard left. At this point it was about 5 ft above the ground so it just "landed" on it's roof.

Damage report:
Slight damage to one of the winglets, easily repaired with some tape in the field.
Battery tray dislodged itself from it's mounting, not field repairable.

Diagnosis:
I have a felling it's a wing loading issue but I have limited experience with RC planes so...
I'm not eliminating the possibility that is was pilot error.

I'll fix it up again and try again.
I was thinking of replacing the elevons with longer ones to both extend the wing chord and increase control authority.
If that doesn't work... I'll probably need a better pilot to give it a try.

OliverW

Legendary member
What you just described was it stalling and maybe a tiny bit tail heavy.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I was rooting through my Nearly finished project (quite a few) and saw my Completed build... I think I have a few motors to put on this...
@GMalatrasi you did a beautiful job on this design.

GMalatrasi

@GMalatrasi Is there an update on this project?

Not knowing exactly how to improve the model and my lack of flying experience made it difficult to get motivated to work on it. I didn't really know if it was an airplane issue, a pilot issue, or both.

Then the rona happened and my work area became my home office... So no, I am ashamed to say that there's been no progress made.

But it's not all bad news here, I'm in the process of buying a house, which means I'll finally have a garage and even a spare bedroom to set up my crafts area! So I should be able to get back to fixing it up after the move.

I was rooting through my Nearly finished project (quite a few) and saw my Completed build... I think I have a few motors to put on this...
@GMalatrasi you did a beautiful job on this design.

Can it be called beautiful before it successfully maidens?

I hope yours does a better job of fighting that pesky gravity than mine.

Not knowing exactly how to improve the model and my lack of flying experience made it difficult to get motivated to work on it. I didn't really know if it was an airplane issue, a pilot issue, or both.

Can it be called beautiful before it successfully maidens?

I hope yours does a better job of fighting that pesky gravity than mine.

What’s the possibility of getting your unfinished plans, or do you build from foam?

FoamyDM

@GMalatrasi - the plans you let me work with went together well. if the builder is willing to piece it together and figure it out on their own..
I think I have 2 motors I and put on this with gear to get it up. I post when I get there. I promise.

And yes. just because the design isn't proven, doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

FoamyDM

Gotcha. I have a $h!t ton of 2205 motors on their way. $3.5/motor couldn't be passed up. This model will have it's moment soon. Since the Halloween episode of the podcast, I have been looking at digging up projects from the grave (unfinished).