First Build FT Guinea Pig as my Trainer/First Plane.

Seahunter

And last night I just figured out the "measure tool" in Adobe Acrobat! So now I can get true measurement from the Guinea files! Let's see where this goes!
I like where you are going with this design. I have both a Guinea Pig and a Legacy kit in the boxes under my work bench. Wonder what we could do with the Legacy? Maybe re-design the fuselage to be more like the Sherpa and convert it to a cargo plane. Interesting, great job. Keep going with it. I'm trying to picture it with a Coast Guard C130 paint scheme. I'm going to have to learn some of the methods and programs you are using to draw these up.

Seahunter, I'm just using Adobe Acrobat and the base Paint app on my Windows 10 laptop. I've expanded my new set of livery pages for the Guinea to 3200 X 1800 pixels, with 40 pixels = 1 inch. This way I can get the whole bird no matter the view on a page.

Trick to coloring with Paint in windows 10, in the upper left hand side in tools is a tiny tipped and pouring paint can. Using this tool a left mouse click fills in the area with "Color 1", a right click fills the area with color from "Color 2" selection. And I"m saving these in "png" to look better.

Does anyone know if the telemetry set up on a receiver give you wind speed across the plane? Has anyone ever set something up to measure/record this? Pilots use that info to fly, why not us, short of FPV with a cheap wind gauge in view?

Hmm. Build start time. Now... I'm taking this S-L-O-W-L-Y so I don't screw anything up (I hope). Step by step, and with each part, tracing/designing Mod 1 plane. Will take pictures with each step, and try to remember to post them here. Wish me luck!

PoorManRC

Master member
Hmm. Build start time. Now... I'm taking this S-L-O-W-L-Y so I don't screw anything up (I hope). Step by step, and with each part, tracing/designing Mod 1 plane. Will take pictures with each step, and try to remember to post them here. Wish me luck!

BEST OF LUCK!!!! I'll definitely be watching.

Power Pods... Ever notice there isn't any Air Inlets in the power pods or the nacelles? If this plane was (In real life) a piston engine or turbo-prop, she'd need air inlets. Piston engine for the radiators and turbo-prop... well... to feed the turbine. Looking over the PDF file for the Guinea... Heh! Those wheel pants look cute... and on the plans look like little scoops! If I were to... trace those, fiddle with the design a touch... Viola, and air scoop!

Okay. After painful hours of joyous designing... here are my plans for two versions of a Air Scoop for the FT Power Pods.
PowerPodScoop02.png

Both are set to print on 8.5 X 11 standard sheets as templates. You may have to adjust if your printer doesn't run to the edge.
PowerPodScoop01.png

This one is built for those silly little tube Whistle Sirens we had as kids, you still can buy cheap by the dozen on Amazon. I think if you leave out the central support wall in the second template, and also cut the hole in the power pod floor, you might get the whistle effect and help cool your ESC. Not sure on that.
I'll check it out and let you know. NOTE: Paint small end of whistle sticking out of scoop chrome/silver, and tarnish with blue/yellow/red for Turbine Exhaust, and black at the edges for soot.

PoorManRC

Master member
That's brilliant!!! 👏👏👏👏👏(y)(y)
It is a missing feature, and will add a lot towards realism. Even some Radials had similar Scoops, for either an Oil Cooler, Intercooler, or both.
That's really using your noodle!!!

The "Not to Scale" drawings I did for Livery bothered me. I know, I get... picky with my own work. At 3 AM PDT I woke up and started fresh at 40 pixels to the inch, 3200 X 1800.
Here's me first page, Guinea Pig Belly Lander.
DTFB-CustomPaintDesignPage-01.png

Using the PDF plans this is as close as I could get. The dual rings are 10 and 9 inch prop radii. Next will be the Port and Starboard views, then Top and Bottom. Enjoy.

I've been doing some stinkin' thinkin'... and I'm gonna narrow the height of those scoops to 7/8 inch internal so the Whistle Sirens still fit, and air still flow into nacelle to cool the ESC.

Twin Turbo Props on the wings! Ye-e-es! Oh dear lord, help me! Can I get an A-PLANE, or an A-MEN, A-WOMEN too!
SwappablePowerPodMod-02-TurboProp.png

Yes, I will send you all pictures from my new independent TV channel show, "As the Hot Glue Dries." It's a revamp of "Fun With Foam." Clashed with a show of the same name that had nothing to do with Radio Control. I must be getting tired, I'm channeling Robin Williams again.

PoorManRC

Master member
I haven't channelled Robin Williams in a long time.... I AM tired Though. LONG Week!

This is going to be SWEET!!(y)(y):cool:
I'm going to need to build SOMETHING with Turboprop Power, just to set this up!!

Okay, I actually got AdTek fine nozzle glue gun up and squirting! And the roll of Duck packing tape... sticking. Here are some pics.
IMG_20181107_182706132.jpg

That's a Fiskar material (cloth) self sealing cutting mat, steel rule in inches and metric, and the kit.
IMG_20181126_004135949.jpg

Laid out Scatch built power pods and extended wheel skirts/pants.
IMG_20181126_004951833.jpg

2.75 main gear on Dual Axles.
IMG_20181126_010721624_HDR.jpg

Like this...
IMG_20181127_203649266.jpg

4 power pods... two scratch cut and two from Speed Build kit.
IMG_20181127_203735789.jpg

Prepped blade by dulling tip with a rasp/file.
IMG_20181127_204837711.jpg

Doesn't that look pretty!
IMG_20181127_224607682_TOP.jpg

4 complete power pods, 2 scratch, 2 Speed Build Kit! All trued, glued, and packing taped w/ holes cut, ready to take some motors.
Wings tomorrow!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Okay, I actually got AdTek fine nozzle glue gun up and squirting! And the roll of Duck packing tape... sticking. Here are some pics.
View attachment 119326
That's a Fiskar material (cloth) self sealing cutting mat, steel rule in inches and metric, and the kit.
View attachment 119327
Laid out Scatch built power pods and extended wheel skirts/pants.
View attachment 119328
2.75 main gear on Dual Axles.
View attachment 119329
Like this...
View attachment 119330
4 power pods... two scratch cut and two from Speed Build kit.
View attachment 119331
Prepped blade by dulling tip with a rasp/file.
View attachment 119332
Doesn't that look pretty!
View attachment 119333
4 complete power pods, 2 scratch, 2 Speed Build Kit! All trued, glued, and packing taped w/ holes cut, ready to take some motors.
Wings tomorrow!
Oh, but HECK YEAH! You are doing it! I was honestly beginning to doubt and thinking that you were just running all of us down a never ending rabbit hole. If you need inspiration to continue, let my obvious excitement be that inspiration. I am so stoked that you are actually building that dream bird, I am at a loss for words otherwise.

Build, my brother! Build!