First Build FT Guinea Pig as my Trainer/First Plane.

Glued-n-wired.jpg
Built.jpg
Done.jpg

Not quite R-T-F... but She's BUILT!

Holy cow, it's a plane! A good looking plane at that. Where did that come from all of a sudden? On a side note? Those are some thin looking rubber bands holding that big 'ol wing on.
Still came from late nights after work, driven by a vision of her in my mind. The rubber bands on her are for display only at this point. Still miles to go before she flies. Fix tail, paint livery, install lights-flight gear-receiver-etc.
Anyone ever build a AWACS out of something like this bird? Hmm. FT Guinea Pig with a RADAR DISC on top. Hmm.

PoorManRC

Master member
LOVE THE NOSE AND TAIL!!!
The Tail Feathers look complicated. I can't see how the Servo(s) are connected to the Rudders. Could you please get a picture of that?

Not that I'm up to that level of Building yet!! Just curious.

Well Carmine... is like this, sure why not!
Glued-n-wired.jpg
TailTestFit.jpg

I've been looking at Skyvan photos for a few months now... And that tail! My only hang up is in the servo horns.
The tiny leftover of the original tail is connected to the standard servo location. Above the servo horn on the mini-control tail are two driver servo horns, one on each side aimed backward. Those drive by servo wire backwards servo horns on the two rudders. Except I forgot about equal length throws... so I have to move the horns on the rudders outboard. Hang it all!

For those paying attention what's up in the background, yes that is the kit Guinea awaiting contractors to begin building her. And yes, those are dowel pins for the wing pins. To me the BBQ skewers are to thin.

LOVE THE NOSE AND TAIL!!!
The Tail Feathers look complicated. I can't see how the Servo(s) are connected to the Rudders. Could you please get a picture of that?

Not that I'm up to that level of Building yet!! Just curious.
Carmine... Duuuude! Scratch building 101. Look at other things like but not exactly your model that you like... better. Then study and think to yourself... "Self? How do I do that?" Paper and pencil, draft, draw, doodle, whatever. Work it out. OR.... just ask us on here.

Carmine... Duuuude! Scratch building 101. Look at other things like but not exactly your model that you like... better. Then study and think to yourself... "Self? How do I do that?" Paper and pencil, draft, draw, doodle, whatever. Work it out. OR.... just ask us on here.
Some of us are old school and don't have 3D CAD programs, but a little wiggles and squiggles on a page and then in a paint program... Viola!

PoorManRC

Master member
Some of us are old school and don't have 3D CAD programs, but a little wiggles and squiggles on a page and then in a paint program... Viola!

Thanks for all that info!! I'm VERY Old School. Been building, modifying, kitbashing and scratchbuilding since 1977!! :eek:
I wouldn't know CAD, if it bit me in the ass!!! :ROFLMAO: And I've never even SEEN a 3D Printer.... really!

I've got ideas and things I can draw from..... And a LOT of great People here to get ideas from. ;)

That's all I had to do. With the horns inside, the wires are too short and the outside rudder moves more than the inside one. The throw needs to be equal on both rudders for smooth operation.

BTW (By The Way) the kids at work taught me. If you have an idea and want to SLAP it by me, just hit me up in a conversation and I'll SNAP off some ideas of how to build it until we've got the bugs worked out. Having scrap FB around helps. One of the gals at my DT suggested for any DTFB project always buy one board extra for every five boards. So 1-5 add one, 2-10 add 2. Gives you "Oops Room" she called it. LOL;)

I'm not seeing it actually. You lengthened the wires to the horns by moving the horns to the outside. I'm not seeing any other change.
That's all she needed. That equaled the throw length. Horns inside, one of the rudders moves more than the other. NOT GOOD! I want her to fly, not wing over and dive into the ground! he he he.

Just looked over my posts. Reminds me of Robin Williams talking about Ronald Reagan. I've been repeating myself... i've been repeating myself... I've been repeating myself... uh... what were we talking about?o_O

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am uncertain if your non-linear rudder problem has been fixed but there is a simple rule to ensure that you get plus and minus servo movements to be the same when translated to a control surface. That rule is 90 Degrees.

All pushrods where they connect to the servo should be such that they are at 90 degrees to the servo output arm and the point on the control horn where the pushrod connects must be at 90 degrees to the control surface and directly over the hinge line.

If you wish it I could rough up 90 Degree connection diagram for your rudder setup. Just let me know!

Have fun!

I am uncertain if your non-linear rudder problem has been fixed but there is a simple rule to ensure that you get plus and minus servo movements to be the same when translated to a control surface. That rule is 90 Degrees.

All pushrods where they connect to the servo should be such that they are at 90 degrees to the servo output arm and the point on the control horn where the pushrod connects must be at 90 degrees to the control surface and directly over the hinge line.

If you wish it I could rough up 90 Degree connection diagram for your rudder setup. Just let me know!

Have fun!
Have a look at the following photos where I fixed the tail as well as I can now. I don't have a bell crank, but if needed I could scrap the whole center upright except what is needed to lock in the tail, then install the crank and arms to it.