First Build...Making all the mistakes

Icedog

Not sure how you glue a spar in backwards but I did...even after watching the build video a number of times. Building the swapable Spitfire and they say it's a very forgiving kit. It sure is. I glued wing spar in backwards and was able to save the wing. Managed to cut it free and reverse it. Beveled the "wrong" side of the rudder but it works fine. Observations from first time:

Hot glue is hot...
A 40 watt glue gun is plenty good, glue must come out of an 80 gun like lava...
Practicing bevel cuts doesn't make the first "real" cut any easier...
The bulk pack of razor blades you bought 15 years ago might need to be replaced...
Is Minwax "Polycrylic" the same as the solvent-based Polurethane coating, guess I'll find out when I get to paint...
Glue the rudder to the stabilizer before you put the stabilizer on the fuselage, another chance to cut things apart to get them right...
Hobby Lobby will become my best friend, 6-pack of foam brushes for less than the cost of 1 at Home Depot....

To be continued!

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
I also use a cheap 40w glue gun. The single temp one from Wal-Mart, it will boil the glue. I put mine on a simple light dimmer switch, now I can dial it the temp I want.

The trick to bevel cuts is to angle the blade backwards about 60 degrees. I prefer a handle for my blade, it gives me more control. You control the depth or cut bt twisting the blade. Make the best cut you can then follow it up with a sanding block to make it perfect. Just sandpaper glued to a straight piece of scrap.

WillL84

The 40W is ok for small builds. I have an older Craftsman that IIRC is like 60W and it couldn't keep up when pumping out glue for my Legacy wing. Luckily I had watched the video before hand and had TWO guns plugged in and ready. Needed them both.

Icedog

Sanding block suggestion is great....I'm going to make several with different grits.

Once I get past this first build (and hopefully successfully fly) and move on to something larger I'll revisit the glue gun situation. I've had this gun for at least 25 years so I was just happy that it was good for this.

Thanks for the comments.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sanding block suggestion is great....I'm going to make several with different grits...
I put a different grit on each side & have make different sizes. Some longer, 12-15 inches, some on a tongue depressors for tight areas.

BTW I checked my hot glue gun, its 23W.

Icedog

Basic construction done! Went removable wing since I don't have my servos yet....another lesson learned...order the power pack with the kit. Powerpack probably arrives Monday so I'll pull the wing and do all the servo installations then. I'm thinking of replacing the paper turtledeck and cowl with balsa. Have to see if I can find something thin enough....Other than a nasty blister on one finger-did I mention hot glue is hot-looks like it will work. Plan is to go with a desert paint scheme after all I live in the high desert....

Attachments

• 20220514_161355.jpg
    20220514_161355.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

checkerboardflyer

Making bevel cuts in foam board can be a challenge when you are first starting out. I made a bevel cutter that works well for me. No power tools needed. There's a small amount of work building it, but after that, it's always ready to be used. And for me it's more accurate and less labor than sanding. I made the video below. Check my blog for more foam board tips. https://foamboardflyers.com

Icedog

I will check that out for sure...in the meantime, since I'm still waiting for my servos, etc, I decided to do some prep on the wing. Generally influenced by a riveting plan I found on-line I scribed some panel lines on the wing and did a quick shot of Mr. Surfacer to see how it will look with paint...I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Now the fragments will look special when I crash on the first flight test...

Additionally, I wan't real happy with the posterboard for the top of the fuselage so I got some 1/32 balsa and crafted some replacements. I guess it will add a bit of weight but once I do the turtledeck it should at least be balanced. That nose piece was tough since balsa won't do a compound bend but once it's painted up it should look pretty good...onward and upward.

Attachments

• 20220516_112142.jpg
    20220516_112142.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220516_124805.jpg
    20220516_124805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220516_132149.jpg
    20220516_132149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
I will check that out for sure...in the meantime, since I'm still waiting for my servos, etc, I decided to do some prep on the wing. Generally in fluenced by a riveting plan I found on-line I scribed some panel lines on the wing and did a quick shot of Mr. Surfacer to see how it will look with paint...I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Now the fragments will look special when I crash on the first flight test...

Additionally, I wan't real happy with the posterboard for the top of the fuselage so I got some 1/32 balsa and crafted some replacements. I guess it will add a bit of weight but once I do the turtledeck it should at least be balanced. That nose piece was tough since balsa won't do a compound bend but once it's painted up it should look pretty good...onward and upward.
That balsa piece looks really nice. have you tried a piece of foam but without the underside paper on the foamboard. then curl it one the side of a table or a piece of pipe to give it the shape.

Icedog

Ha.....have not....go big or go home....

However...I am thinking about getting a STEM kit to practice with before trying to fly the Spitfire. Right now I'm just enjoying the building process and trying out a few finishing techniques from the model building world.

Icedog

I'm moving in the direction of building a tiny trainer to start with. Seems like a good way to start while I'm working on the finish of the Spitfire....seems like a slow enough flyer to learn on.

The Fopster

Master member
I'm moving in the direction of building a tiny trainer to start with. Seems like a good way to start while I'm working on the finish of the Spitfire....seems like a slow enough flyer to learn on.
I learnt on an FT Flyer. In my experience much easier to get to grips with than the tiny trainer. I put the rudder on the right stick and it got me well enough accustomed to flying to then graduate to ailerons. Whatever you do - good luck!

Bo123

Elite member
I learnt on an FT Flyer. In my experience much easier to get to grips with than the tiny trainer. I put the rudder on the right stick and it got me well enough accustomed to flying to then graduate to ailerons. Whatever you do - good luck!
Same, I didn't learn on it, but it definately helped me. I accidentally used a too big of a motor, but that was fine. great plane anyway.

Icedog

While I'm sorting the "learning" plane I continue to move ahead on the Spitfire....turtledeck and cockpit cover are complete. Once I score some panel lines on the fuselage it's on to primer. I had to cut my tail assembly loose and reposition so it's sits a bit high so I couldn't get the turtledeck fully back but it will work.

Attachments

• 20220518_114437.jpg
    20220518_114437.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Bo123

Elite member
While I'm sorting the "learning" plane I continue to move ahead on the Spitfire....turtledeck and cockpit cover are complete. Once I score some panel lines on the fuselage it's on to primer. I had to cut my tail assembly loose and reposition so it's sits a bit high so I couldn't get the turtledeck fully back but it will work.
I can already see your inner builder lol. Looking amazing.