First Build...Making all the mistakes

Icedog

Progress is being made....base paint in place. Couldn't find the colors I needed for desert camo so I'm going with a green/brown version w/D-Day markings...now wait 48 hours for full cure.
20220520_115442.jpg

Icedog

My first attempt at laying out the camo pattern was a bit of a fail. "Blue" painters tape is far too sticky for this. It actually pulled the paint/primer/surfacer clean off the wing is a few spots so I had to rethink....low-tack is the way to go...but the commonly available widths don't work for the layout so I bought a selection of auto vinyl layout tapes. This is 1/16" laying out the outlines. I'll use the low-tack to fill in the areas not to be painted. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to shoot the brown and later in the week do some panel lining and highlighting. Underside of the wing will be a blue-gray.

Couldn't wait...that's a problem sometime...but I needed to know if this tape was going to be an issue....masked up the left wing half and threw some brown down. Good news is the tape worked out pretty well. A couple small flecks but way better that the blue painters tape.

Other than the obvious fact that the brown is gloss-something I'll address with a scuff and a coat of matte clear....I'm pretty happy with the sharp lines and no bleed under.
20220522_181149.jpg
20220522_183957.jpg

20220522_162117.jpg

Last edited:

Icedog

Finished the major paint on the wing and fuselage this AM. Wing looks good. After scuffing both colors blend well. Fuselage is another story altogether. Major issues with the masking pulling paint off all the way to the paper. I know the primer I used didn't bite very well so I guess I shouldn't be surprised...certainly disappointed. I'll have to try some brush touch-up and see if I can blend it before I give everything a coat of matte clear.
20220523_131958.jpg
20220523_131945.jpg

quorneng

Master member
That is a very neat. You have obviously put in some time and effort.
Just remember that no matter how satisfying the paint job it is unlikely to make the plane fly any better. ;)

Icedog

That is a very neat. You have obviously put in some time and effort.
Just remember that no matter how satisfying the paint job it is unlikely to make the plane fly any better. ;)

Very true and until I spend some time with a trainer it won't fly at all. Right now I'm enjoying the building process but it will end up on the wall of my garage until I build a trainer (which will not be painted) and spend some time with the basics. The swappable Spitfire is supposed to be a very user-friendly aircraft but probably not the best for learning on.

Bo123

Elite member
"First Build, Making all the mistakes" The only mistake I see is the fact that you chose a spitfire as your first plane lol! Keep up the great work!!!

Icedog

Been MIA for a while....quarantined with the covid and restricted to my loft. Sick for a couple days but still testing positive so my access to other parts of the house is limited. I did get into the garage today to finish-off the base white for the D-day striping. I'm really getting a bit frustrated with the masking pulling of the paint. I wish I had saved more of the scrap foam so I could test mulitple primers to see what's actually going to work but I didn't so I keep plugging along.

First airbrush was a bust and haven't had a chance to work with the second one yet. For that past month the winds here have been 20 mph virtually all the time. Have to paint with the garage door closed and the cars outside. Then open the doors to let the fumes out...making the best of a frustrating situation....onward and upward.

20220601_085918.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Been MIA for a while....quarantined with the covid and restricted to my loft. Sick for a couple days but still testing positive so my access to other parts of the house is limited. I did get into the garage today to finish-off the base white for the D-day striping. I'm really getting a bit frustrated with the masking pulling of the paint. I wish I had saved more of the scrap foam so I could test mulitple primers to see what's actually going to work but I didn't so I keep plugging along.

First airbrush was a bust and haven't had a chance to work with the second one yet. For that past month the winds here have been 20 mph virtually all the time. Have to paint with the garage door closed and the cars outside. Then open the doors to let the fumes out...making the best of a frustrating situation....onward and upward.

View attachment 226498
I usually do a light coat of Minwax Poly before paint, will probably help with your paint peeling with the masking tape

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

View attachment 226498
Awesome build for your first go!(y)(y)

Icedog

I usually do a light coat of Minwax Poly before paint, will probably help with your paint peeling with the masking tape

Oddly enough I followed that entire procedure...scuffed off the gloss with a paint-prep pad and brushed on Minwax. Minwax must have a dozen different versions of thier poly...could be I didn't use the right one. I used two different base coats....Mr. Surfacer from Mr. Hobby and a white general primer from Hobby Lobby and they both lifted in spots. Generally small spots but some pretty large. Cleary a little more experimentation is required...

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Oddly enough I followed that entire procedure...scuffed off the gloss with a paint-prep pad and brushed on Minwax. Minwax must have a dozen different versions of thier poly...could be I didn't use the right one. I used two different base coats....Mr. Surfacer from Mr. Hobby and a white general primer from Hobby Lobby and they both lifted in spots. Generally small spots but some pretty large. Cleary a little more experimentation is required...
The stuff I use is the Spar Urethane in a green can

Icedog

The stuff I use is the Spar Urethane in a green can

On my next "painted" build I will look for that. As has been gently suggested to me this is not exactly a beginner's plane so once I finish it up I'm going for a trainer, which won't be painted, so I can crash/learn on something more appropriate....

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
On my next "painted" build I will look for that. As has been gently suggested to me this is not exactly a beginner's plane so once I finish it up I'm going for a trainer, which won't be painted, so I can crash/learn on something more appropriate....
My first build was the FT Alpha, furthest away from a beginner plane as you can get. Build what you like, everybody has a different path to getting in the air. remember its just foamboard, you can build/repair it again. You are going to find there are a lot of different opinions out there on a good trainer plane, my suggestion would be pick something larger, bigger planes are easier to start with . My first successful flight came on the FT Racer, after trying a few of the so-called beginner/trainer planes. Remember the motto " Build , Fly, Crash, Repeat"

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
My first build was the FT Alpha, furthest away from a beginner plane as you can get. Build what you like, everybody has a different path to getting in the air. remember its just foamboard, you can build/repair it again. You are going to find there are a lot of different opinions out there on a good trainer plane, my suggestion would be pick something larger, bigger planes are easier to start with . My first successful flight came on the FT Racer, after trying a few of the so-called beginner/trainer planes. Remember the motto " Build , Fly, Crash, Repeat"
I'm with @Ratcheeroo on that. I put a dent in my barn with my first plane, a mighty mini LongEZ, but it was only an afternoon's build an $1 of foam board. What you're flying has to make you grin or why do it.

WillL84

My first was/is my Legacy V2