First Build! Spektrum AR620 not activating EMAX ESC

stevens785

Hi Everyone,
This is my first Flite Test build and my first anything build since the late 80's. I have a Spektrum DX6, which has properly bound to the AR620 (powered by the ESC) and moves servos fine; however, the throttle does not engage the motor, nor do I get the arming beeps when I power it on. Am I missing a step? I have tried reading the Spektrum manual, but it's fairly sparse.
Thank you!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
First you should make sure that your esc is connected to the throttle channel, then you should make sure that it is calibrated. Welcome back to the hobby!

FastCrash45

Elite member
I did this once. I was always used to fm radios and the throttle slot was different. Some receivers are channel 2 and others are channel 3. Make sure the esc into the rx right side up too. It all sounds simple but I've spent hours wondering why it wouldn't work.

stevens785

Spektrum usually runs TAER, so channel 1/Data is the throttle.
Thank you for the information. So here is a really stupid question. There is only one lead from the ESC and I am plugging it into the battery (see attached), is that incorrect? Thank you!

Attachments

• ESC_REC.jpg
    ESC_REC.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

stevens785

First you should make sure that your esc is connected to the throttle channel, then you should make sure that it is calibrated. Welcome back to the hobby!
Thank you! I still have 3 models from the 80's that I am hoping to convert to electrics, a Goldberg Eaglet, Super Kaos 40, and an Aeromaster Too. I have a lot to relearn about radios and electronics!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thank you for the information. So here is a really stupid question. There is only one lead from the ESC and I am plugging it into the battery (see attached), is that incorrect? Thank you!
Everything is correct, but your esc should be plugged into the throttle channel on the receiver (channel 1/data), not the other ones.

Reactions: FDS

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Everything is correct, but your esc should be plugged into the throttle channel on the receiver (channel 1/data), not the other ones.

LOL these new receivers just number them. The older Spectrum receivers all had labels that said things like THR, AIL, ELE, RUD, GER, AUX, etc...Made it really easy to tell which channel was which. I don't know why they took it off; Guess we need to give them feedback on that!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
How are you liking the AR620?
I currently am using the same Rx with the DXe Tx. I think I have been having signal issues to which I have had detailed discussions with Hai-Lee. This is a possible problem that I have been having that I didn't even know I had till the past couple of days. He really opened my eyes to the problem and the symptoms I have been experiencing all make sense now. Check out his recent post in this forum.

And welcome back to the hobby my friend

stevens785

How are you liking the AR620?
I currently am using the same Rx with the DXe Tx. I think I have been having signal issues to which I have had detailed discussions with Hai-Lee. This is a possible problem that I have been having that I didn't even know I had till the past couple of days. He really opened my eyes to the problem and the symptoms I have been experiencing all make sense now. Check out his recent post in this forum.

And welcome back to the hobby my friend
Thank you! Well, I have not had any issues so far. That being said, I have only made 3 flights with my Simple Scout so far. I am about to start building my second Simple Scout (want to fix the mistakes that I made on the first!) and a set of floats. If I run into any issues, I will certainly post them here. Thanks again.

Caleb_g

I am having the same issues, and would love to hear if this got resolved. I'm using an orange rx receiver, bound correctly, and it is in the throttle slot. I get three start up beeps, but no arming beeps. If I remove it and put it in a non throttle slot I get arming beeps and can throttle up the motor. Any idea why?