First build

Booda10925

I've been watching the channel for years but now I wanna build. What's a good starter build/flyer? I'm not new to rc but kind of new to planes. Too many options to choose from.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Cant go wrong with the Tiny Trainer, Scorch, Bushwhacker or Simple Cub. All would be a great first build. I'd recommend going to a local cub, you'll find a lot of help there. Check out FTGroups for pilots in your area.

kdobson83

I started with the FT Flyer. Super quick build, flys good, and easy to replace/repair when you crash. Will get you in the air quick. I then moved to the tiny trainer due to being able to swap wings and go from 3-4 channel. The 3 channel was super easy to fly due to it being the same flying style as the FT flyer. Then, once I was comfortable, I stuck the sport wing on it. Whole new bird. Got use to that and the rest is history. But, as I've built bigger and bigger, I've realized the bigger they are, they easier they fly. Wind isn't as much of a factor, and as long as you stay light, they just float. I have a FT Explorer that can slow down to speed walk pace with flaps engaged. I just finished a 125% FT Spitfire which has turned out to be the easiest to fly plane I've owned.
Anyway, being new to building/flying be prepared to crash. Don't get discouraged. Come back here if you get stuck. The people here on the forums are full of help and advice that will get and keep you flying.
Good luck

Booda10925

I started with the FT Flyer. Super quick build, flys good, and easy to replace/repair when you crash. Will get you in the air quick. I then moved to the tiny trainer due to being able to swap wings and go from 3-4 channel. The 3 channel was super easy to fly due to it being the same flying style as the FT flyer. Then, once I was comfortable, I stuck the sport wing on it. Whole new bird. Got use to that and the rest is history. But, as I've built bigger and bigger, I've realized the bigger they are, they easier they fly. Wind isn't as much of a factor, and as long as you stay light, they just float. I have a FT Explorer that can slow down to speed walk pace with flaps engaged. I just finished a 125% FT Spitfire which has turned out to be the easiest to fly plane I've owned.
Anyway, being new to building/flying be prepared to crash. Don't get discouraged. Come back here if you get stuck. The people here on the forums are full of help and advice that will get and keep you flying.
Good luck
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the building.

kdobson83

I just ordered the cub, minus the motor,servos as they were out of stock. Alot ot things were back ordered.
Guess that's a good sign the hobby is healthy, but sucks for your build. Getfpv.com is usually super quick shipping and almost always has their product in stock. If you can't find your stuff their, eBay is a good place to look as well. You can usually find US shipped stuff their too.

Booda10925

Guess that's a good sign the hobby is healthy, but sucks for your build. Getfpv.com is usually super quick shipping and almost always has their product in stock. If you can't find your stuff their, eBay is a good place to look as well. You can usually find US shipped stuff their too.
I just put it on back order. I'm in no rush and I think I can still build the static model.

d8veh

Elite member
Buy a load of sheets of foam so you can build several planes while you're waiting for your electrics to arrive. I have the Scout, Sportster, Mini Scout, Edge 540 already, and I've only been going a few weeks. I've still got about 40 sheets left, so plenty more planes to build yet.