Solved First build

mach1 rc

Master member
If this is your first plane I would reccomend the simple scout. Because the corsair is a hard build and the edge is a advanced flyer but of those 2 I would do the corsair.

OlliePackman

If this is your first plane I would reccomend the simple scout. Because the corsair is a hard build and the edge is a advanced flyer but of those 2 I would do the corsair.
I'm on a really tight budget and don't have the money to build a simple scout which is very similar to what I have now. However, I have all the time I need to build it right and take the time to do it properly. I'm not to fussed about the edge being an advanced flyer because I'm getting pretty cocky with aerobatics - 3 or 4 inches of the ground for a whole pass etc. If you still reccomend the corsair then that sounds good to me. I have watched both build videos but still can't tell which one to go for.

mach1 rc

Master member
I would still say the corsair so you have the build skills for the next master series plane. But whatever you want.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Corsair will be easier to fly. The edge is a handful and I was able to got some cool stuff going with my scout but the edge was too big a challenge. That being said, it’s a fun challenge! The Corsair will be a challenge to build and pretty easy to fly, and the edge will be a little easier to build (it’s one of my favorite builds) and a good and fun challenge to fly. It’s very rewarding when you get it down and start doing tricks with it😃

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The Edge is a completely different animal when it comes to building. Due to the wing shape, along with several other bends and folds that you have to do, I'd HIGHLY recommend you build something other than that plane for a first build. Shoot, you could build a pusher Versa Wing for cheap, or even a Nutball, and have it knocked out quickly and easily, and you'll learn what works best for your folds, beveling the edges, etc. And, you can get away relatively cheap with those models, since they don't require more than 2 servos each (and the Nutball can be made out of 1 sheet of foam, bringing the cost down even more).

If you're dead set on those two, go with the Corsair instead of the Edge.

gadgetmann

The Edge is a completely different animal when it comes to building. Due to the wing shape, along with several other bends and folds that you have to do, I'd HIGHLY recommend you build something other than that plane for a first build. Shoot, you could build a pusher Versa Wing for cheap, or even a Nutball, and have it knocked out quickly and easily, and you'll learn what works best for your folds, beveling the edges, etc. And, you can get away relatively cheap with those models, since they don't require more than 2 servos each (and the Nutball can be made out of 1 sheet of foam, bringing the cost down even more).

If you're dead set on those two, go with the Corsair instead of the Edge.
Unfortunately, I ordered my Edge before I found this thread. Any advice, resources or threads you'd recommend to prevent it from being a frustrating experience?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Unfortunately, I ordered my Edge before I found this thread. Any advice, resources or threads you'd recommend to prevent it from being a frustrating experience?
Have you flown rc airplanes before? I assume this is your first flitetest build though. I’d recommend something like the simple scout or simple cub. This is a video I got today of me flying my simple cub with a simple scout wing. It did really well.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
However if you want to go straight to the edge, I'd recommend watching the whole build video at least once before you start building the plane. Then carefully, step by step, slowly, and patiently, go through the build video copying what Andres does. Pause the video and rewind when in doubt. Never rush the steps, and always do a test fit once or twice to make sure it is just right. I think if you do that you will be fine. It may not be the prettiest build, but it will be rewarding. The edge is my favorite and most intense build so far out of the 20+ Ft planes I have built. Good luck and have fun!

gadgetmann

Have you flown rc airplanes before? I assume this is your first flitetest build though. I’d recommend something like the simple scout or simple cub. This is a video I got today of me flying my simple cub with a simple scout wing. It did really well.
I came back to the hobby in March of this year. I spent about a month in Real Flight before I flew. Flew a UMX Timber for a couple months, then a Turbo Timber and a Bixler 2 for a while. I gave the UMX to one of my brothers, and the Bixler is no more.

gadgetmann

However if you want to go straight to the edge, I'd recommend watching the whole build video at least once before you start building the plane. Then carefully, step by step, slowly, and patiently, go through the build video copying what Andres does. Pause the video and rewind when in doubt. Never rush the steps, and always do a test fit once or twice to make sure it is just right. I think if you do that you will be fine. It may not be the prettiest build, but it will be rewarding. The edge is my favorite and most intense build so far out of the 20+ Ft planes I have built. Good luck and have fun!
Definitely part of the plan. I think the thing I am most skiddish about is cutting! I've seen a few videos where Josh talks about dulling the tip of the blade, so I will definitely try that. I am also planning on some practice.
Having watched a few different build videos (the A-10 was my favorite) and having done a lot of repair and rebuild work with the Turbo Timber, I am imagining some serious mods to the wing. Since you can test fold everything and to some extent test glue with tape, I am contemplating a carbon fiber spar and an attachment mechanism that doesn't use rubber bands.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Definitely part of the plan. I think the thing I am most skiddish about is cutting! I've seen a few videos where Josh talks about dulling the tip of the blade, so I will definitely try that. I am also planning on some practice.
Having watched a few different build videos (the A-10 was my favorite) and having done a lot of repair and rebuild work with the Turbo Timber, I am imagining some serious mods to the wing. Since you can test fold everything and to some extent test glue with tape, I am contemplating a carbon fiber spar and an attachment mechanism that doesn't use rubber bands.
Here's an awesome tip - for clearing out the cavities of foam, where Josh said to dull the tip of a razor blade, try using the tip of a prop. I tend to have a good supply of broken props so I keep a little stash of them on my workbench. They work really well and don't ever cut through the paper. I had that issue even when I dulled my tip. As far as cutting bevels, you can practice on scrap pieces of foam, or @BATTLEAXE has a great tutorial on his youtube channel where he shows how to iron the bevels. It creates much stronger hinge and doesn't add any weight.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I will chime in my two cents here, even though your title says solved. The two planes you are thinking of are very different planes to fly, and just as different but have the same level of difficulty to build. The Corsair is a fast plane if you like doing low stable passes at full throttle and some mild aerobatics, slow rolls and loops kinda stuff. If you like aerobatics like fast rolls, tight loops and slow fly quick 3D maneuvers then the Edge is your monster. The Edge will be a handful to just fly fast and stable though, you have to always be paying attention to it because it's roll and pitch axis are very sensitive, one tiny slip on a low pass and you will be drilling for oil digging it out of the dirt. It's flight balance is very thin if that makes sense.

They both are great planes and look awesome in the air. Good Luck on this build and all the others after this one. Post your progress so we all can enjoy your experience and get vid of the maiden.

OlliePackman

Attachments

• IMG-20191228-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20191228-WA0000.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 0