First Buy

tniner

Hello Flite Test community!
Iv'e been watching your youtube videos for the past few months, and have been thinking that it is time to build my first plane. I have been browsing and decided to ask you guys what my first build should be. I want something cheap, flies good, and easy for beginners. Please respond so I can start building! Thanks all!

-tniner

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
It's a great plane. Works extremely well with a 1300 3s or smaller, and a hextronik 24gram motor. (I believe It will do vertical with the right prop)

mjmccarron

24g Hextronix 1500kV on 3S, 1300 with a 7 x 5E prop is my favorite setup.

The Flyer and The EZ Fly (on another forum) are the two most successful trainers I have found. My kids all have learned on the EZ Fly and my son in law and older son learned on the FT Flyer. They have all transitioned to the FT Bloody Wonder for their second plane. I think the Flyer is a little better because it teaches you to fly the turns as opposed to floating around with the EZ. It's also much easier to build and repair too.

In any event, Good luck,
Mike

daxian

Elite member
hi ...
agreed ....ft flyer is my goto trainer, easy to fly and easy to build ...and always comes home in one piece ,well almost !!!!
just added ailerons to mine to make it more versatile ..

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Personally, my go-to suggestion is the tiny trainer -- it flies a bit better -- but the FT Flyer is easier to build and still flies pretty good. Whichever you go with, you won't be disappointed . . . but . . .

If you get the speed-build kit, buy a few extra sheets of foamboard from Dollar tree and use the kit as a pattern to cut the planes (yes, planes) you fly.

Your first trainer will likely end up a wreck of foam within a few flights. This is VERY common. The cheaper and easier the repair is, the faster and more likely it is you will get back into the air. If you use the kit to make templates, replacement parts or a completely new airframe are cheap and quick to make. You can then inexpensively ease into the other side of this hobby . . . repair.

Oh, and buy spare props. You'll need 'em.