First edf help please

KABFlyer

Looking at building the amazing Anders designed (hope that’s spelled right) X-29 jet and I don’t wanna go with prop drive I don’t want the torque roll at all and possible damage to the prop on landing so edf it will be but I want lots of power and speed. In the video he mentioned 65-70mm edf, who has built this jet with and edf and what edf did you use to power it.. I have turnigy 3s 2200mah batteries and turnigy 4s 3000mah batteries and I have a Aerostar 60amp esc to pair up to an edf but not sure what kv edf stuff to get.

Thanks guys great community!!

Attachments

• A6D41185-9DFE-4157-B259-A956007BA1B2.png
    A6D41185-9DFE-4157-B259-A956007BA1B2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2E30427D-459B-48D7-B55C-B59DA0B38973.png
    2E30427D-459B-48D7-B55C-B59DA0B38973.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • C7B4A4D1-6680-444D-8F34-7A86D4B6E2CE.jpeg
    C7B4A4D1-6680-444D-8F34-7A86D4B6E2CE.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0

Headbang

Master member
I have built this with a fms 70mm 12 blade 4s edf. I fly it on a 4s 3300mAh 50c battery. Seems to be about perfect power. I would suggest to use gorilla glue where ever you can to save wieght. In fact while building have a constant mind to wieght. Lighter you build it, easier it will be to launch. Mine is built heavy and need a buddy to toss it for me, it needs a good toss requiring 2 hands. Next time I will use the same edf but 6s version and a castle lite 75amp esc. I will also build it almost exclusively with white gorilla glue. More thrust, less wieght.

KABFlyer

I have built this with a fms 70mm 12 blade 4s edf. I fly it on a 4s 3300mAh 50c battery. Seems to be about perfect power. I would suggest to use gorilla glue where ever you can to save wieght. In fact while building have a constant mind to wieght. Lighter you build it, easier it will be to launch. Mine is built heavy and need a buddy to toss it for me, it needs a good toss requiring 2 hands. Next time I will use the same edf but 6s version and a castle lite 75amp esc. I will also build it almost exclusively with white gorilla glue. More thrust, less wieght.
What’s the KV of the motor? Ya I wanna try and make is SUPER light

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Built mine around the FMS 70mm 6S unit and it have loads of power, I use a 3300 6S battery a mixed 3 minutes of flying and it's coming down with 54% left.
1568392483895372389360974979189.jpg

KABFlyer

Ok so I need some help in what to look for, for an edf for this plane on 3 and 4s I know nothing about EDFs I’m looking on HobbyKing and there doesn’t seem to be many 70mm options

Headbang

Master member
Ok so I need some help in what to look for, for an edf for this plane on 3 and 4s I know nothing about EDFs I’m looking on HobbyKing and there doesn’t seem to be many 70mm options
Not sure you can find anything reasonable on hobby king. Others may have suggestions. But I always use fms. The 11 and 12 blade units sound awesome, and they produce an average amount of thrust for the size. They are available at my local hobby shop cheaper then I can order them for directly. Price is pretty good in the $65CAD mark. One thing I have learned is if you cheap out on the edf unit and esc, it will come back to bite you.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
My 6S FMS 12blade unit is rated at 2.25kg of thrust .... That made for nearly 1.5 power to weight ratio on the plane, and thanks to that power I was able to save a really bad launch throw.

Headbang

Master member
My 6S FMS 12blade unit is rated at 2.25kg of thrust .... That made for nearly 1.5 power to weight ratio on the plane, and thanks to that power I was able to save a really bad launch throw.
I just saved a bad throw, but was more of a get it straight and level before it hits the ground. Second toss worked better, first time launching it on my own. I have measured my setup at 1100g of static thrust. Edf is rated at 1600 I think on 4s. The 6s setup would be much better for launching, and of course those steep dive low across the field fly bys busting the flight line could always be faster!

KABFlyer

I just saved a bad throw, but was more of a get it straight and level before it hits the ground. Second toss worked better, first time launching it on my own. I have measured my setup at 1100g of static thrust. Edf is rated at 1600 I think on 4s. The 6s setup would be much better for launching, and of course those steep dive low across the field fly bys busting the flight line could always be faster!
What’s your total weight? And would u say with that amount of thrust it’s pretty quick?

Headbang

Master member
Total flying wieght was just over 1kg, about 2.5lb with battery. Static thrust I am less then 1:1 but once it spins up others tell me it is fast (nothing ever feels fast to me when I am flying). You just need real good arm to launch it.

KABFlyer

Total flying wieght was just over 1kg, about 2.5lb with battery. Static thrust I am less then 1:1 but once it spins up others tell me it is fast (nothing ever feels fast to me when I am flying). You just need real good arm to launch it.
Ok this is good info to help me decide what edf to get... was thinking the dr mad thrust from
Hobby king but not sure if I should get the 4s or 6s version... I have 2 4s and 2 3s batteries but not sure if 2 3s will fit in the plane or not

Hoomi

Master member
The 64mm 3S EDF from Freewing, used in the 3S Stinger, can be picked up for under $40. It's rated at app. 1.34 pounds of thrust on 3S power. I was pointed to RC Castle for EDFs and info on them. You might check there for other EDFs, if the 64mm doesn't fit the bill. I'm getting between 3 and 4 minutes of flight on my Stinger, using a 3S 1600mAh battery.

64mm EDF and ESC at RC Castle

Headbang

Master member
The 64mm 3S EDF from Freewing, used in the 3S Stinger, can be picked up for under $40. It's rated at app. 1.34 pounds of thrust on 3S power. I was pointed to RC Castle for EDFs and info on them. You might check there for other EDFs, if the 64mm doesn't fit the bill. I'm getting between 3 and 4 minutes of flight on my Stinger, using a 3S 1600mAh battery.

64mm EDF and ESC at RC Castle
Might work out, the wieght savings on the battery is why it may work. Using 70mm edf's we are using heafty batteries and esc's, requiring more thrust. For me the sound of the 12 blade is the kicker, will never go back to whine of 5 blades ever again.

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah, the 5 blade fan in the Stinger doesn't sound nearly as good as the 12 blade fans in the 64mm A-10, but as my first EDF, the Stinger is proving itself a decent plane to learn the quirks of EDF flying with. I've read that switching the fan over to a 12 blade isn't a good idea with the 3S motor and ESC, though. The 64mm A-10 is 4S power.