First Edge 540. Paint scheme.

Trueshot21

Figured I would share my progress on my edge 540. Love this build and felt like it needed a personal paint job. So I'm going to do a full hand painted edge 540. Will post as I go along.
P_20181129_183630_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181130_002553_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181130_002514_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Trueshot21

Excellent! I've got the plans printed for the 540. Did you have any hiccups during the build that's not mentioned in the build video?
be very patient don't rush it. Crease your bends well and on the line. just a little off can really shift the looks of this plane and make certain areas not look flush. I would say the most important area would be the front and the top hatch cover take you time and hold your angles perfect.

PoorManRC

Master member
That's some outstanding freehand work!!!
I can accidentally make Airbrushing look pretty good, but freehand Art is a whole other level.

Overprop

Excellent! I've got the plans printed for the 540. Did you have any hiccups during the build that's not mentioned in the build video?
I would recommend strengthening the motor mount. I made the base double thickness foam, added 4 triangular supports below, 2 above. But the best fix was to add pieces in right above the ESC see photo. That eliminated the flex and barely added weight.

Attachments

• 20181203_000857.jpg
    20181203_000857.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Trueshot21

I would recommend strengthening the motor mount. I made the base double thickness foam, added 4 triangular supports below, 2 above. But the best fix was to add pieces in right above the ESC see photo. That eliminated the flex and barely added weight.
I plan on making this plane again that is great idea.

PoorManRC

Master member
As soon as I can keep a Trainer in the Air for a good length of time, I'd love to build one of these - in the FT Brown Foam Core Board...
I keep hearing it's stronger skin.

This Plane just looks SO good, even if I'm able to build one, just to sit until I'm ready!!
Tips like that definitely help.

Trueshot21

As soon as I can keep a Trainer in the Air for a good length of time, I'd love to build one of these - in the FT Brown Foam Core Board...
I keep hearing it's stronger skin.

This Plane just looks SO good, even if I'm able to build one, just to sit until I'm ready!!
Tips like that definitely help.
I always do my first builds with dollar store because you get the experience of the build and then when you do end up buying a speed build kit or more expensive foam you know the build and the personal touches you would like to alter.

PoorManRC

Master member
I always do my first builds with dollar store because you get the experience of the build and then when you do end up buying a speed build kit or more expensive foam you know the build and the personal touches you would like to alter.

Yup! That's exactly what I just said. The White Foam is so cheap, a guy can learn, practice and mess up!

Trueshot21

Yup! That's exactly what I just said. The White Foam is so cheap, a guy can learn, practice and mess up!
sorry ill reiterate that. I do all first plane build beginner or advance in dollar store it familiarize you with the plane and the build before building a tougher version. So not just a starting out thing. Any build I do cheap learn then build a better one. Like this edge its all concept and learning its dollar store and I've never hand painted a plane before its all testing. So after I'm done ill see how it goes hang it up and make a final version. So in other words build a dollar store version edge before and brown better foam it pays for its self in knowledge of the build for sure.

PoorManRC

Master member
i think i got that. building a sort of prototype first in expendable white foam. thats a great tip for either the less experienced or someone who has been doing this for a while.

That way, if it's a Dud, you've only lost a dollar or two!! (y)(y)