-1.2GHz FPV gear with homemade CP antennas
-PZ0420 camera
-Spektrum DX6i 2.4GHz
-7" TFT LCD monitor
-Flying with spotter

tw-ryder

Well Grounded
Have a good time!

And please share your experience from a first timers perspective. We're building our first FPV platform around the new FatShark system, hopefully it'll be as easy as these guys make it look! :p

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Have a good time!

And please share your experience from a first timers perspective. We're building our first FPV platform around the new FatShark system, hopefully it'll be as easy as these guys make it look! :p

Will do!

steadly1

(i may be late here) but studying my flying site on Google earth really saved my bacon on my first few flights. This is probably not so important if you have a spotter to guide you back home.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's a definite possibility, as my wife has issues watching some of my more "aerobatic" videos. Or if it's windy/bumpy and there is a lot of correction going on. I don't have any issues myself, but then I'm not prone to chumming on boat-based fishing trips either. The wife on the other hand, has gotten sick lying on a float when the pool pump has come on...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Anyway I had my first FPV flight that Saturday :) Awesome experience, nervewrecking as well. Biggest things I noticed:

1 - You don't see your actual position. You can't tell if you are above yourself or further away unless you have a pan and tilt system (which I will have on my quadcopter).

2 - My aircraft (Bixler 1) was very sluggish with the extra weight. Of course first time, and needs trimming and balancing. Or maybe I will switch to quads or something.

Todd L

Cool!! I hope to do my first FPV flight this weekend, I'm gonna use my Versa Wing for this. I already fly the Versa with a Gopro and have had a blast with that, but its time to step up :cool:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Cool!! I hope to do my first FPV flight this weekend, I'm gonna use my Versa Wing for this. I already fly the Versa with a Gopro and have had a blast with that, but its time to step up :cool:

Before you fly FPV, fly it LOS with the FPV gear on it. So you feel the added weight and stuff.

Todd L

Yeah that's a great suggestion... Gonna give that a go first. I going to have a spotter too, and going to get some time on the gear at my home field where i'm very familiar with the area. I want to add some OSD after a time too.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah that's a great suggestion... Gonna give that a go first. I going to have a spotter too, and going to get some time on the gear at my home field where i'm very familiar with the area. I want to add some OSD after a time too.

Take it easy and get everything working well before you add more. I will also add a small battery monitor OSD some time but not right now.

Todd L

Take it easy and get everything working well before you add more. I will also add a small battery monitor OSD some time but not right now.

I was thinking battery monitor and GPS.. Maybe signal strength.... And yeah, sometime in the future.