First flight, Thank You FT!

Fuzzyvg

So this weekend, i was able to get a plane to "fly" for the first time ever! I first built a chuck sparrow and then made a 2.0 version with electronics.

I have always wanted to fly RC planes, Thank You FT for making it accessible and fun for new flyers.

Saturday we went to the park and took her out for a spin. Unfortunately my lil FPV transmitter wasnt working so that was a bummer(worked all week on the bench not sure why it wouldnt connect to Rx). First toss didnt go great, did some adjusting, and second one went and FLEW! Crashed shortly after, busted a rubber band and of corse I didnt have spare in my kit :(. But on the recommendation of a forum user i had a little Eachine qx65 that i flew around (first time really flying a non-toy drone) and recorded the cam on my laptop. My Co pilot (8yr daughter), thought this was the coolest stuff ever! She was also My camera lady, I think when it flew she was watching the plane and not the camera which was fine for me hahaha. Here feel free to take a quick look (warning bit shakey cam).

First Flight on Google Drive

I had such a good time I am hooked!

Fuzzyvg

Yeah you can hear in my video thats what i was starting to do before it sidways LOL

Thanks and will try again!

d8veh

Elite member
I think you did the same as most newbs. You launch the plane, then spend all your time panicking trying to keep it in the air. You will find that it's much easier if you reduce the throttle right down soon after the plane is launched. The slower speed will give you much more time to think about what you're doing and it'll make the plane more docile in the way it responds to the controls.

That was a great story anyway. This is the best part of the hobby when you're learning and crashing. It's fantastic to see kids enjoying the excitement too. I don't think she did bad with the filming. It was better than most posted on here.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nice build,and congrats on your first flight! She looks like a handful on full thrust! That flight looks a lot like my Nutball flight last night trying to see with just street lamps. When I try again today I'm going to try cutting back on the throttle and flying as slow as I can get away with. I'll fly in the desert lot right across from my neighborhood, because I'd rather not fly on the street again, too much risk of downing in somebody's yard or smacking into somebody's car.:)

Fuzzyvg

Nice build,and congrats on your first flight! She looks like a handful on full thrust!

Yeah that wasn't even full thrust, it was maybe 60-70%. I too will try cutting the throttle back as much as i can to get the hang of it as well. Yeah I am lucky to have a Park with in a 2 min drive from me with a nice open spot.

Thank you all for the awesome encouragement! Love this group!

Fuzzyvg

Believe it or not but girls can fly to.

Oh i believe it! She does like tossing the chuck sparrow hahaha you can see here [ Click ME ], she can get it to glide better than i can! She has tried the sim once. So maybe one day we will build her a plane to fly. I asked if she wanted to fly the drone but she said no.

ozzie

So this weekend, i was able to get a plane to "fly" for the first time ever! I first built a chuck sparrow and then made a 2.0 version with electronics.

I have always wanted to fly RC planes, Thank You FT for making it accessible and fun for new flyers.

Saturday we went to the park and took her out for a spin. Unfortunately my lil FPV transmitter wasnt working so that was a bummer(worked all week on the bench not sure why it wouldnt connect to Rx). First toss didnt go great, did some adjusting, and second one went and FLEW! Crashed shortly after, busted a rubber band and of corse I didnt have spare in my kit :(. But on the recommendation of a forum user i had a little Eachine qx65 that i flew around (first time really flying a non-toy drone) and recorded the cam on my laptop. My Co pilot (8yr daughter), thought this was the coolest stuff ever! She was also My camera lady, I think when it flew she was watching the plane and not the camera which was fine for me hahaha. Here feel free to take a quick look (warning bit shakey cam).

Awesome! Keep the young'un interested....when she works for NASA she can keep you supplied in dollar tree foam board!!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Enjoy them while you can, they grow up way too fast. She will fly away before you can blink.
I actually didn't want to "like" that post, it's hitting pretty close to home for me personally. You are right, though. One day they're pushing a toy truck down the beach. Then you blink.

ozzie

Fuzzyvg, watched your video again this morning.....your camera lady made literally laugh out loud!!! "ARE WE DONE?" Too funny....reminds me of my7 year old granddaughter. Enjoy the ride brother!

Fuzzyvg

your camera lady made literally laugh out loud!!! "ARE WE DONE?" Too funny.

Yeah she kills me every day! She keeps asking when we can go again... but it has been sooooo windy here that i am scared to even try, so I keep telling her on a calmer day we will try again.