first flights anyone?

bracesport

Legendary member
Hi there fellow flyers - here are some quick video of our first flights and Nubes!

It's not all bad, but you can see we have a ways to go! I just downloaded the template from FT to limit the stick movement https://www.flitetest.com/articles/limiter-discs as you can see with the fish it was sorely needed! I also had some issues with the steering in my left hand (mode 1) and have hacked my TX over to have the steering in my right hand (mode 2). Still to try that next time out.

music is the F blues - another hobby

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
It was an attempt at a non powered glider for my son to throw. It flies pretty well with some trimming, but I think it needs a slightly bigger wing for its weight. Time to get more foamboard!

bracesport

Legendary member
I managed to get my nube-tube back together after Christmas and now I am waiting for a windless day!

Originally it was 3ch rudder/elevator/motor and had a 1.5m polyhedral wing. I have shortened the wing to 1.2m, locked the rudder, and added ailerons so the next attempt flying will be a 3ch bank and yank - ailerons/elevator/motor!

I hacked my JR x378 from mode 1 to mode 2 and have been practising a bit on the flight sim. I feel more comfortable with the control in my right hand! The throttle and elevator are switched at the Rx and the sprung centre hardware is switched over inside the Tx, so we should be good to go shortly. Each aileron has a servo so the next step is to get them set up on the Tx and add some 'expo' to calm down the wild adjustments in the air!

Wish me luck!

IMG_5041.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5044.JPG

Last edited:

Keno

I am having some problem with "The throttle and elevator are switched at the Rx and the sprung centre hardware is switched over inside the Tx," For this airplane the initial setup as a three channel would be an excellent flyer. Now that you have move on to ailerons and shorten the wings It still ise an excellent flyer. Using two servos to the ailerons using a "y" harness is not a bad choice if you chose to use two different rx channel make sure your tx is programed accordingly. Your plane is an excellent build and I have seen few better. I wish you good luck as requested and I really loved your pix of the little guy launching a new model, great work my friend. fly happy and have fun with the little guy they grow up fast.

bracesport

Legendary member
After fitting my 3-cell 2400 MaH battery I ran out of space for the ESC so off came the hatch cover to make space on top off the battery! The Cg is pretty good so I will see if I can tidy the wires a tad more! The mistake I made was being too cute with the fuse dimensions given my gear is old school and a bit dumpy! Oh well, it is a trainer after all!

IMG_5048.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Be careful just cramming the esc in, I’ve done that and as a result have broken motor to esc leads from being bent to much. On a brighter note, that looks good, good job 👏.

bracesport

Legendary member
Be careful just cramming the esc in, I’ve done that and as a result have broken motor to esc leads from being bent to much. On a brighter note, that looks good, good job 👏.

It does look like a bit of a tangle! Finished programming the Tx for a flight when the wind calms down - they don't call Wellington the windy city for no reason!

bracesport

Legendary member
A very light southerly this morning - the day has finally arrived!

The back story is that I have had this plane in the air, but always crashed with one issue or another. Originally it had 3ch rudder/elevator/motor, but today it is running for the first time with 3ch ailerons/elevator/motor so hopefully, I think I can justify the title of maiden flight!

I did it! It was a fantastic first step and now I know what all the hype is about! I am hooked now (if I wasn't already)!

I was a tad nervous and I was fully expecting another crash and burn session, but it turned out to be an awesome day with no crashes or damage other than landing a tad hard! My elevator has too much movement so that will need to be calmed down before the next outing!

Today I ran the Tx with 50% expo on the ailerons as well as differential (down aileron travels 50% of up aileron) and 10% elevator up-mix with the ailerons. This was from reading about ailerons so as a novice it was a suck it and see moment! I also had dual rates set up for the ailerons, but I think I was flying to slowly to use the low setting today. There is no expo on my elevator as it is running on the throttle channel given I hacked my Tx from mode 1 to mode 2!

I have even programmed flaps into the ailerons but I completely forgot to try them!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I have adjusted the push rod on the servo and control horns to get less throw. Keen to fly again when the wind settles!

bracesport

Legendary member
Well, we finally got out for the second flight - sadly the wind got up a bit but I was feeling brave after the maiden a week or so ago!

The start was great, but sadly coming around at me with the wind, I turned right instead of turning left! amazing there was no damage other than the motor mount popping off!

NO CHILDREN WERE HURT DURING THE MAKING OF THIS VIDEO
(it was a bit close for comfort though and mum had some strong words with dad).

Last edited: