First FPV flight tomorrow! Things to look out for?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Are there any major things I should make sure I do before I try FPV tomorrow? I'm a little worried about my transmitter and receiver being to close.
I'm using 72mhz and 2.3ghz for video.
Thanks guys!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Make sure you've got a competent and attentive spotter. Flying isn't hard, but getting lost is also very easy because you're concentrating so hard on flying rather than picking landmarks.

As far as hardware is concerned, I recommend to use a UBEC and filter the output to the rx with a ferrite ring. You shouldn't have to worry about the rx and tx, but if there's any doubt in your mind, ground test it first.

Nonamerc

Arman
If your RC receiver and FPV transmitter are close (close= >5 inches) to each other you will get less range then when your VTX and RC receiver have a big distance between each other. The difference won't be really much but when you are going to long distances make sure that there is some space between them. Make sure that the antenna wires of your 72 MHz system are outside of your fuselage for better range. I don't recommend flying far away on your first flights, after a few flights you can fly away further and further each time. Which plane are you going to use? The scratchbuild twin boom plane?

earthsciteach

Trees. Look out for trees. Oh, and buildings, too. The biggest thing to look out for is Earth. Its that big, round, ball thing under us. My planes hit it a lot! ;)

Good luck with the FPV maiden!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Thanks guys! I'll be flying in about an hour. I'm using my bixler of course! I need to start practicing FPV now so I'm ready to fly when the final plane is done.

Nonamerc

Arman
check the CG! FPV equipment maybe will change the CG a bit no need to change it but it's always good to know if your plane is tailheavy or nose heavy when flying FPV.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Alright, second attempt in about an hour. I'm so excited!! I will take tons of video for everyone!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I didn't fly the first one due to waay too much wind. I flew it today though! Sadly I had some issues. I blue-screened once after a complete loss of signal. I wasn't very far away either, within line of sight. I looked up and just flew it back. Also, the ground was black in the morning because the sun was just rising....
I can't fly it anymore because for some reason my camera isn't working. When I fly I get the EZosd reading, but a black screen, like my camera isn't connected. Any ideas why this is?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Check over all your wiring. Make sure everything's connected as it should be. Also, I can't remember if I've asked before, but what camera are you using? Are you sure it works?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
A sony 600tvl super HAD camera from security camera 2000. Yes, it works. I flew for a bit and it worked, then it just stopped.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Do you have another way to test your camera? Clearly your vtx and OSD are working. Check your connection from the camera to the OSD. Either there's something not connected there or the camera has died...

Carbon

Elemental Madness
nope, no other way to test..
Question: any ideas on why I blue screened not far away?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Any updates mate? Sucks to have the first attempt hampered by technical issues. I guess the upside is that the plane was still in visual range when you lost video.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
^+1 that was it. I emailed them and they are sending a new one. It's been raining though so I don't know when I will be able to test it out again.