First FPV flight tomorrow! Things to look out for?

earthsciteach

Nice. I need to get me some of that. Can it be sprayed onto the motor windings, too? Other than heat, I can't see where it would cause any problems.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I don't know. My motors do fine with water in them. Some guy on RCgroups breaks in his new brushless motors by running them underwater! I don't know how it doesn't short, but I've flown in the rain (here we get quite a bit) before and still have the motor(the one I used on my Cabon B-1 scratchbuild)
I haven't bought it yet but it should work on everything. ESC, OSD, Servos, ect. It isn't oil based like WD-40 so it wont mess anything up. All I would be worried about would be dust and grim sticking to it.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I think it's just ESCs and rxs that don't like water. But some htb grease under the heatshrink and in the case should do the trick on those. Some people stick them in balloons.

earthsciteach

Breaking motors in underwater? I can see where that wouldn't be an issue, provided any solder connections were not exposed. But, I am not going to do that.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
That technique comes from the brushed motor days, where to the brushes could overheat without cooling for the first couple of runs. On brushless motors, the only parts that rub together are the bearings, which should be greased appropriately out of the box and shouldn't need cooling to run.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I might try it with my old bixler motor just to see if it helps clean it out a bit. I got a piece of dust in it and even when I opened it up it was stuck in there.

earthsciteach

If you want to clean it out, I'd pull it apart and blow it out with compressed air. Where is the dust stuck? Are you sure its not bad bearings?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I pulled it apart and used my air compressor on it. Didn't work. I guess it could be bad bearings, maybe not enough grease..?

earthsciteach

The bearing in those motors are sealed. And they are horribly cheap. I'd put money on that or on the edge of a stator being bent and rubbing on the magnets. You can check for that by coloring the end of the stators with a sharpie, running the motor, and checking to see if the sharpie was rubbed off of any stators. If it was, you can sand or gently tap the raised portion down with a hammer.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
alright, I'll check it out. I have a feeling it is a bearing issue. No heat, just really grinding sounding.

Shaun_Mileson

For that I spray some Wurth HHS2000 High pressure spray into the bearings, I find it helps reduce the wear and noises...Otherwise its off to the local bearing supplier and try to get new bearings...

Shaun_Mileson

Oh Yes and a tip for the first FPV, know your surrounds! take a walk around to get an idea on how far apart things/places are...I fly in a park and kinda know that by flying LOS by the time I'm over the big tree over there in need to turn, If I line up the approach between those two small trees I'll land at my feet etc...