First FPV Flight

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Hello all,
I successfully completed my first FPV flight today and quickly proceeded to do two more. I did it with the complete Quanum FPV bundle from HobbyKing on my scratch built 650mm quad with DJI Naza-m lite running v2 software. It was incredibly smooth and more fun than I expected, just like being in a video game. After a while I was flying as fast as I could in huge circles around me (how could the FAA ban this). Just wanted to let any newcomers how fun this aspect of the hobby is and that it's not hard at all. In fact I didn't intend on take off with the goggles on but I figured it would be easy and it was:D, even the landing was a piece of cake.

One question, I only receive a range of 450 feet with circular polarized antennas on 5.8ghz, the antennas have a gain of 1db, could this be the problem?

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Malik

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Solved my problem, flew at a different field and got 1,800 feet out before my 2.4 ghz radio tx started to lag and glitch. The video signal was rock solid at that distance.

Cheers,
Malik

Cranial

I recently completed my first FPV flight too! super cool, but because i was in a hurry to try it out, the 200qx didn't like my heavy gear. (immersion 600mw tx, power filter, 600tvl camera, misc zip ties and rubber bands to hold it together, and a piece of foam board to mount it) The quad lacked a little power to be desired, so the electrohub will be finished soon, then it will get the system.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
What was the cause of the limited range you experienced?

Justin

The flying location, it was a small park near a lot of houses. When I flew at another park with a phone tower I got about 400ft then my radio transmitter cut out. At my last place, the back of a school with a large field, I got 1,800 feet before my radio cut out. I made a windsurfer antenna for it and will possibly test tomorrow.

Cheers,
Malik