First FPV kit questions..

KealanD

Hello

Im currently looking into getting my first full fpv system for my 480 quadcopter. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me out on that I cant seem to find the answer for.
Im also on a budget, trying to get the full bundle for as cheap as possible.

1. What makes the range and quality of live feed back? I understand transmitter power and antenna gain etc, however if I bought a decent transmitter and receiver, but a 10$ camera, would I get good range and no lines on the screen with fair imagine quality?

2. If I were to look for cheap sets online, tx rx and camera etc, and my goal is roughly 1 km range, and no video breakouts or fuzzy lines on the screen, but not too picky about image quality, just usable and doesnt go black facing the sun and flying through trees, what sort of specs on the tx and rx would I look for?

3. Do I need another LiPo battery onboard my quad to power the camera and tx?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
to answer this.....
1. get a decent camera. the better the camera the better the signal will be to transmit. Range has nothing to do with the camera.
2. 5.8 is a great starter system but you will not get the penetration through trees or behind buildings. 900mhz, 1.3 would be something you need to look at, but to start your fpv flying I would stick to 5.8
3. most systems are powered by the battery on your quad. the receiver will need a power source as well

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
#2 . . . um, good luck with that. You will get noise, glitches and static, almost more from your environment than your gear. Better gear will clean it up and closer in makes it better, but don't expect a glitch free signal near 1km. Not going to happen.

Seriously, what you're expecting isn't a beginner setup.

- Get an inexpensive VTX and camera -- the 200mw Eachine setup should work fine.
- Get a decent antenna set -- check reviews, but spironets or bluebeams are consistently good. Bargain antennas are a gamble.
- Get a Quantum FPV goggle set -- it's a good *CHEAP* FPV screen and will make a good "ride along" box in the future.
- Get a fair VRX -- I'm running a FR632, and even with a single antenna it's a great VRX. There are plenty of other VRX's that are inexpensive and give you a taste, but lean toward a 32 channel RX.

The point of this setup is to give you experience and gear you can move forward with. Get up and flying, learn what level of static/noise/glitching you can live with (because there will always be some), learn whether you prefer a display or goggles, and then improve your gear in stages, knowing specifically what you'd like to improve -- there are too many personal taste issues to recommend the perfect low-price setup for any one person . . . and until you've tried to make it work you really don't know what you like or you can tolerate.

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Good antennas are the most important piece of equipment. It doesn't matter if you have the best receiver and the best video transmitter, if you don't have good antennas your signal will be extremely weak. Video Aerial Systems antennas are what I use- I consider them to be the best on the market.

What you really need to know- the harsh reality- is that 'FPV' and 'Cheap' don't go together very well. You're not really going to find a system that can get you 1km with no video noise without dropping a few hundred bucks on a system. Your best bet right now is to follow Dan's advice. Most of the stuff he recommended can grow with you- the Quanum goggles, good antennas, and the video receiver can all work with you as you upgrade to better cameras, better vtx's, and ultimately a better overall setup.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I've used the RC832, and while not a top performer, it works fine. It's a good VRX to pair with the quantum goggles, because when you replace the goggles you don't mind leaving them attached.

The TC351 and RC305 are fairly old gear, so they're right at the boundary between "designed for home security" and "designed for FPV". functional, limited to 8 channels (won't play nice with other gear you might buy in the future), not particularly sensitive and the VTX is heavy. Definitely a "you get what you pay for".