First FPV quad build

FPV_Dennis

Hello everyone,

I am looking to build my first FPV drone, Currently I am flying with my Darkmax with a Martian frame (I broke the original one). I am looking to buy from Banggood or Hobbyking since they are pretty much the only international site that can deliver the parts here, in the Netherlands that don't cost an arm and a leg to ship, haha

My budget for the drone is about $200, I am looking for a freestyle drone, so I don't really want to save every gram of weight because I will also be carrying a GoPro hero.

I already have the Foxeer monster pro and a FT48X 600mw FPV transmitter.

The parts I am thinking about buying are:
motor: DYS WU 2206 2400kv (4x)
ESC: Gemfan Maverick 30A blheli 32
Frame: Eachine Wizard x220hv
Flight Controller: omnibus f4
Receiver: Frsky XM+

I am open for any ideas on what I should change about this setup

Yours Faithfully,
Dennis van Rijssen

Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Don't know much about that frame, the original Wizard was okay... Took me 2 years to kill mine. The X220S was crap though. Rather than the XM+ I'd recommend the R-XSR. It's a touch bigger but has telemetry. If the original XSR's are still cheap (everywhere had them at 1/2 price for a long time) they are decent too. Quite a bit bigger, but there's lots of room for it. Everything else looks good.

FDS

Elite member
I would look at Unmanned Tech Shop as well, they ship to the EU and their customer service is superb. I have found their prices to be competitive and sometimes cheaper than Banggood. They have the T Motor LF40 motors on sale right now and they are really good for the price. They also have the other FRsky telemetry RX for €15, can’t remember it’s name, in the D16 EU protocol.
Frames are more costly from them, I get those elsewhere.

FPV_Dennis

Thanks for your responses, if I can find a R-XSR I will change the XM+ to it and maybe will change out the frame if I find one better.

FDS

Elite member
XM+ is fine if you use the OSD for cell voltage. Telemetry is only useful if you have all the voice alerts set up.

FPV_Dennis

Yeah, currently I have no voice alerts setup because of that I have a XM+.
On another note: I found out that the FC & 4-in-1 esc of the wizard x220hv aren't that much more expensive and could make my quad look a bit cleaner, but is it worth going back to blheli instead of the blheli_32 I have listed above (now have added links to the parts list)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
XM+ is fine if you use the OSD for cell voltage. Telemetry is only useful if you have all the voice alerts set up.

Personally, I think the best thing about telemetry is the ability to use the BF LUA scripts for tuning and VTx control. It is so much faster than using the OSD.

FDS

Elite member
Yeah, I haven’t learnt to do that yet.
@FPV_Dennis When starting out there’s something to be said for decent separate ESC’s as if you mess up and one burns out you only have one esc to buy, not a more expensive whole board.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
thanks, I have one last quesetion, is the ft48x a good fpv transmitter or should I get something like the AKK x2

It looks pretty decent actually. Smart audio is nice, but not something you need unless you are constantly changing channels.