First FT Build

chrisinslc

I would say I am an intermediate pilot. As I get older I just want a good overall sport plane. I am not a builder as far as wood goes. I have a few foam planes but the modelport is far from my home so I want to start flying in parks and soccer fields etc. The FT planes seem right up my alley. Easy to build, easy to repair, and inexpensive fun. What would be a good first plane that just flies really well? An all around sport plane? I was thinking about the cub or the spitfire. What are your thoughts? I plan on the speedbuild kits for my builds. Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would say I am an intermediate pilot. ..... What would be a good first plane that just flies really well? An all around sport plane? I was thinking about the cub or the spitfire.
Both the Cub & Spitfire would be great. The Cub is a very stable "trainer" plane and yet it is capable of many advanced maneuvers. The Spitfire is definitely a faster plane that has a great presence in the sky and yet an easy plane to fly.

An intermediate pilot should be able to fly almost any of the FT planes. There a few of the 3D planes you might want to stay away from for now. I suspect you will soon be ready for them.

moret

I would also look at the simple scout. I had both the cub and the scout. Scout behaves a lot better during take off and landing. I now have a second scout but no cub.I also had a spitfire, mig 3 and the mustang. Mig 3 is long gone, the spitfire is setting with the power pod moved to another plane and I still fly the mustang. Of the 3, Mig 3 is the hardest to fly, then the Mustang, and last the Spitfire IMO