First FT tiny trainer

Crampbiscuit

Hey guys! I’m currently on my way of making my second rc plane, I decided to go with the tiny trainer (first one was a simple cub but boy was I in over my head with that one!) I was just wondering if I can use a 30a ESC, I don’t know what motor, battery or prop to use so any suggestions will help! thank you guys so much!

P.S. I’ll be using the trainers wing

Aslansmonkey

30a ESC should be more than enough.

The plane is designed for the "power pack A" motor, which is an 1806 2280 kv motor. They typically fly on 6x3 2-blade props or 5x4 3-blade props.

If you don't want to buy the Flite Test motor, I've had luck with alternatives like this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPH2ZMK/?tag=lstir-20

Albeit not in that specific plane. Basically though, a drone motor in that size and KV range should do it.

Good luck with your build!

Crampbiscuit

30a ESC should be more than enough.

The plane is designed for the "power pack A" motor, which is an 1806 2280 kv motor. They typically fly on 6x3 2-blade props or 5x4 3-blade props.

————————
Thanks I’ll probably end up buying the FT 1806 2280kv radial motor is that ok? Also what battery should I get?

Aslansmonkey

There are two primary numbers associated with brushless motors. The first is indicative of the size of the motor, which roughly equates to torque (because that's what bigger motors do) and the second (kv) equates to rotational speed per cells in your battery. Roughly a 1000kv motor on a 3 cell battery will rotate at 3000 ram (unloaded).

Basically though, you can't just go by one or the other number. You want an 1800 or so SIZED motor at around 2200 kv. Go higher in size you get more torque, but too big and the motor won't fit and your not using the power it can provide. Go higher in kv, go faster.

These are simplification and there are more considerations like how big is your model or what size prop do you want to use.

But you want a smaller motor swinging a 6" prop for this bird.

For batteries you want 3 cell lipo batteries in the 850mah range. Like these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CTSCWYM/?tag=lstir-20

Batteries have a "C" rating which Basically equates to how much current draw they can sustain. The ones I linked are 80c, which is pretty high for batteries this size. You could go lower for the mini trainer on an A motor, but if you plan to use the batteries in hotter planes later, might as well go bigger.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The 1806 is okay, but the MT 2204 2300kv motor is far better option combined with a 6x4 prop. Anything upwards of 20amp ESC will be fine, its just added weight if you go bigger. Depending on your all up weight it will fly nicely off a 2s 500mAh and makes a nice powered glider. But if you plan to build the 4ch wing or at least progress to it in the future, then your better off buying a 3s 700mAh. The 3s will work okay with both the 3ch and 4ch wing options but it's obviously a bit heavier than a 2s, so what you gain in extra power you lose a bit in gliding capability.
I run either 3s 700mAh or a 3s 1000mAh on my 4ch Tiny trainers (it depends on the weather and how I want to fly). The space under the powerpod is too cramped for bigger Lipo's, so I mount mine on top of the nose to balance out the CG.
Here is a picture of a Tiny trainer with a 3ch wing I recently put together for my grandson. The battery fits under the canopy (basically made from a drinks bottle). Its has the same MT2204 and the 500mAh battery setup and flies great, I still have the original 4ch wing for when he wants to progress.
Word of advice don't use JST connectors for battery connections, they are not up to the job change them for XT30's.

1649095670401.jpg 1649096012829.jpg