First Helicopter

Hello everyone!

I think that Helicopters are pretty cool and I want to get my first one. (aside from some air-hogs crap)

I'm looking at a few:
WlToys V931/ XK 123 http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V931-2_4G-6CH-Brushless-Scale-Lama-Flybarless-RC-Helicopter-p-934884.html or on HobbyKing http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66864__WLToys_V931_AS350_Collective_Pitch_Scale_3D_RC_Helicopter_Ready_to_Fly_.html

Hisky HCP100S (It's the HobbyKing Assault 100) http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100S-6CH-2_4Ghz-Dual-Brushless-RC-Helicopter-With-New-X-6S-p-963645.html or http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100S-6CH-Dual-Brushless-RC-Helicopter-With-H-6-Transmitter-p-963646.html (The first link has a slighlty nicer TX)

There is also a BNF version which uses an adapter http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-HCP100S-6CH-3-Axis-Gyro-Dual-Brushless-RC-HeliHT8-Adapter-p-966222.html or the HobbyKing Version http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__77093__Assault_100_Flybarless_Dual_Brushless_Micro_3D_Helicopter_w_RF_Module_Radio_Ready_.html

The only reason I am worried about the BNF adapter versions is that the adapter will not be compatible with my FlySky I6 radio. Would it if I get another cable? I can't get the normal HobbyKing BNF without the adapter either since I don't have a Spektrum radio.

Basically I'm looking to see if anyone has any experience with these heli's and I am wondering what you think. I really want to learn 3D. For the banggood Hisky links is it worth spending extra for the nicer TX if I can't use the adapter with my FlySky?

Another possible option would be to buy the BNF WlToys one, but also buy another manufacturer's RX board (which uses FHSS) and then I could use the Turnigy FHSS adapter but I would also need a cable which I don't even know exists. I'm not buying the other manufacturers RTF version because it is $100 more for some reason in the warehouse that ships to me.

Thanks, Ethan

Last edited:

Airkaos

I think a full coax heli its too much for a beginner, i was gonna buy the wl toys v911, its a micro 4 channel and it binds to the tg i6.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I would suggest getting a 4 channel fixed pitch heli to start out with. The HCP100S handles like a caffeinated squirrel...not for a beginner. Get the basics down with a fixed pitch then move on to a collective pitch heli. You have got to get all of the basics down first.

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
I would suggest getting a 4 channel fixed pitch heli to start out with. The HCP100S handles like a caffeinated squirrel...not for a beginner. Get the basics down with a fixed pitch then move on to a collective pitch heli. You have got to get all of the basics down first.
+1
I have one HCP100S, not a beginner helicopter.

i was gonna buy the wl toys v911, its a micro 4 channel and it binds to the tg i6.
+1
I started with a v911 and learned all the basics with that one.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Unfortunately, it is a DSMX heli, but the nanoCPS is a great full CP first heli. It flies with more stability than even a fixed pitch heli.

Ok thanks everyone, but for future reference is is possible to use the FHSS adapters with a FlySky i6? It has the futaba round trainer port.

dezertdog

Spent any heli time on a sim? I rebuilt my first heli 5 times, never flew it once. Bought a sim, learned hover, nose in and basic 3D, had great success since.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Ok thanks everyone, but for future reference is is possible to use the FHSS adapters with a FlySky i6? It has the futaba round trainer port.

It can probably be made to work. The i6 uses a 4 pin and Ground mini DIN style trainer/data port. One pair of pins is the data and the other pair is the Trainer In (Master) and Trainer Out (Student). Trainer Out is PPM and is also used to connect to a SIM. The data pair are only for updating the firmware. I think it is specific to FlySky and is not "Futaba" style.

I can't find the pin out off hand (it's out there on RCGroups somewhere) but probably you can get a sim cable adapter for the i6 and plug a mono plug into that and it will work.

I think the plug is the same as an s-video cable or perhaps an older PC style keyboard or mouse connector if you want to make up you own cable.

Spent any heli time on a sim? I rebuilt my first heli 5 times, never flew it once. Bought a sim, learned hover, nose in and basic 3D, had great success since.

Yeah, I've flown larger helis in RealFlight. I can do inverted and sort of tic-tocks but thats about it.

Also thanks pressalltheknobs, but basically what I am also considering doing is getting a WLtoys v931 later on, but it can only be bound with their transmitter. Another brand, with the same heli (XK 123) has a different receiver board that uses FHSS. So if I were to buy the radio adapter, replace the standard board with the XK one could I use my I6 with it? I thought that Futaba TX/RX have a different channel order, so would that be an issue?

Airkaos

Hi Ethanator i really don't know about adapters, but I wanted to buy the wltoys v911 wich is a fixed pitch (very cheap) heli, and saw in youtube a guy binding a fs i6 directly to it without the need for any adapters or anything else, so I beleive any turnigy or flysky would need adapters for their FHSS.

Hi Ethanator i really don't know about adapters, but I wanted to buy the wltoys v911 wich is a fixed pitch (very cheap) heli, and saw in youtube a guy binding a fs i6 directly to it without the need for any adapters or anything else, so I beleive any turnigy or flysky would need adapters for their FHSS.

Yeah, I know that but I want to know if the adapter can even be used with my TX

Highlander

The helicopter I would recommend to start learning to fly helicopters is the Blade 120SR.

It is a relative cheap helicopter, perhaps not the cheapest, but it has proven to be resilient to crashes (I crashed it a lot) and it will teach you the basic principals. Once you have mastered this little helicopter, you will be ready to move to the bigger collective pitch helicopters.

Probably the most important tip I can give: buy a helicopter for which you can buy replacement parts and a bunch of extra batteries. You will crash and at a certain moment you will have to replace some parts (main shaft, spindle, landing skids, ...)

To me, helicopters are still the most rewarding to fly, although they are the hardest to learn. Don't be discouraged after a few crashes, keep flying!