First(ish) quad- baby hawk?

Dante

I have been building and flying planes for almost 2 years now, and want to get into quads too. I have had a basic inductrix, which is now turned into a tinywhoov, but almost exclusively flew it in autolevel mode because it was line of sight. I have been looking at the babyhawk R 3" version on 3s. I am aware it may be too powerful for a beginner, but I am pretty familiar with limiting stick movements, so it should not be too hard to keep it at low throttle. Props breaking is expected, but can anyone give advice whether I will break anything else other than props in a light crash when learning to hover and cruise around slowly in acro mode?

w1lp33

Depending on how you land you could break frame arms... I'd recommend picking up some spare arms just in case. The rest should be pretty resilient unless you really smash the crap out of it.

For the record I'm planning to buy the babyhawk r 3" as well as a Christmas present to myself :)

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I have been building and flying planes for almost 2 years now, and want to get into quads too. I have had a basic inductrix, which is now turned into a tinywhoov, but almost exclusively flew it in autolevel mode because it was line of sight. I have been looking at the babyhawk R 3" version on 3s. I am aware it may be too powerful for a beginner, but I am pretty familiar with limiting stick movements, so it should not be too hard to keep it at low throttle. Props breaking is expected, but can anyone give advice whether I will break anything else other than props in a light crash when learning to hover and cruise around slowly in acro mode?

I was in your exact same position as you a few months ago. What is your tx, that is important.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I haven't flown the Babyhawk, but I've heard it's pretty decent. Whichever quad you start with, I'd recommend spending some quality time in a good sim like Velocidrone or Liftoff. Transitioning to acro mode can be hard, get those crashes out of the way in the sim and save yourself some $$ :)

Dante

Thanks for the advice @ElectriSean . I was trying to get a sim to work (demo of one of them), but by transmitter could not be detected. I am trying to use smart propo plus with my dXe transmitter and the 3.5mm audio programming cable for the dxe. It would not register the ppm signal on smart propo plus. One more thing- do you know what the little board in the middle of the programming cable is for? when I unplugged from it and ran directly into the computer, the computer shut down- probably due to voltage overload from the transmitter?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Are you aware that most sims have signal limitations?

Every one I have tried thru usb or audio using smartpropo plus required the weight and offset in each channel to be set at 50% for it to function properly.

Try changing those settings and connecting either usb (your best option) or thru the audio port.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
My first FPV sim was Freerider, which required smartpropoplus. To be honest, I'm not sure what I did to make it work with my DX9, but it took a ton of messing with settings. When I started running velicodrone it worked without the additional software. When I switched to Taranis it was even smoother as that just shows up as a USB joystick.

Dante

My first FPV sim was Freerider, which required smartpropoplus. To be honest, I'm not sure what I did to make it work with my DX9, but it took a ton of messing with settings. When I started running velicodrone it worked without the additional software. When I switched to Taranis it was even smoother as that just shows up as a USB joystick.
did you use 3.5mm audio or usb?