Help! First kit - FT Explorer

PookaHat

I’m working on my first FT kit, the Explorer. I’m doing a terrible job. Everything is turning out cattywampus. That’s OK, I’m learning. I’ve ordered a much better glue gun than the one that I have. Also adding better razor knife.....
I tried building the 3 channel wing and the thing snapped in two when I tried folding it over. Sloppy I can try to improve. Snapped in half, I need to find out what I did wrong before I try the 4 channel wing.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Where did it snap at? Also use the higher mounting position for the motor pack. The lower layout lines are for an 8 inch prop and the current kits come with 9 inch ones.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
The bevels may not have been quite right if the paper gave out at the fold. I personally cut the bevels with a blade then smooth and even them out with sand paper till there is just enough tension to make the other creases in the wing do what they are supposed too when making the fold.

PookaHat

I was trying to do the bevels with a flat file. It worked for the elevator. I got the wing bevels to over 90 degrees as per the video. Probably should have gone further.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
In many of those build vids they are really cranking on the foam board to get the folds and that just makes things more difficult and more likely to warp, especially on a large wing like the Explorer has. Just do trial folds till it feels right, just enough to make the creases give and form the wing. It will take some practice, might use the busted wing and make test pieces out of it. Other than the engine mounting position there was one other thing I ran into but for the life of me can't remember what it was right now. When you get to setting the CG for flight make it just a tad nose heavy. Mine didn't fly very well set perfectly balanced.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I tried building the 3 channel wing and the thing snapped in two when I tried folding it over.
If you are talking about the leading edge, just use packing tape to reattach the top & bottom. I often cut the top and bottom separately & tape them together at the leading edge. It's just a more efficient use of foam board.

PookaHat

My new hot glue came today. 200 watts pumps glue like a winner. I taped the leading edge and finished the 3 channel wing. I discovered that the motor I had mounted into the power pod was not functioning. Now I need to make a new power pod, I’ve got some clean dollar store board so I can trace out a pattern and get to work.
A new motor from Value Hobby is on the way. We’ve got a week of windy conditions here in Illinois so I’ve got time to work on “projects”