First multi help.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Hey guys,

I'm back on the forum after a bit of time away from the sport. I've been really busy with a new job, house, and our first child so I haven't had too much time to post.

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. I was at an auction a few weeks back and up to the block comes a dji flamewheel f450. It seemed like it was going way too cheap so I put my hand up. Long story short I'm the proud owner of it.

It came with 4 sunny sky 2216-11 880kv motors and 30amp ESC's. It's also running 9x5 3 blade props. Is this a good combo? What would be a good battery to run with this? The only info I got with it was the previous owner ran 2100 3s lipos for sport and 3000 4s for fpv. I have a ton of 2200 3s from my trex 450 I could use but I mostly want to run this for fpv and want long flight times over performance.

I plan on running a light, 1-200watt 5.8ghz setup and will not be flying bvr at this time. The rx I'll use will either be a spektrum 6200 with sat or an orange rx 615 as both have proven reliable in the past. I've ordered a hk v3 flight controller to try out but I'm already thinking an upgrade to a multi wii setup will be in the near future.

baddox

9" three blade props seems a bit peculiar, but will probably work fine. I have seen many setups very similar to yours with 9x5 props (usually just 2 blade though) running both 3s and 4s with no problems. For the batteries, I would just start with what you already own and benchmark your flight times. You can play around with adding weight to get some idea of how things will affect flight time. I bet you could even go with 10 inch props and 3000 mAh batteries, but someone might want to chime in with direct experience with that sort of setup.

How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

RoyBro

Mentor
And congrats on the new child, house, and job. With all that change in your life no wonder you were too stressed to bother with the forum. You should definitely get some flight time in to manage those stress levels. That's what you tell the spouse when you want to go fly. Most of the time it works. ;)

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
And congrats on the new child, house, and job. With all that change in your life no wonder you were too stressed to bother with the forum. You should definitely get some flight time in to manage those stress levels. That's what you tell the spouse when you want to go fly. Most of the time it works. ;)

Thanks. It's definitely been a life changer. I don't get out to the field to fly the big stuff near as much but luckily I have a park right out my front door so I manage to sneak a few flights . My foamies and my trex keep me going that way.

How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

I paid $100. I thought it was a fair price considering the lhs sells the same model for over $200.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, you can go with 1045 or 1047 with those SS 880KV with 30A ESCs. You'll get more lift capability at the same throttle, giving up just a tiny bit of response. Those 2200s you have will work great. If they are healthy batteries, I'm guessing 10 minutes casual flying @ ~1100g AUW set to beep at 10.5V.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Cool beans. I have a couple 10x4.7sf props for my 3d foamies so all I really need is a couple counter rotating props and I can try them out too.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Ok so I got the the hk flight controller in the mail and I'm trying get it to work but it's not going well.

I have the board mounted for + config, I have the rx wired to it (ar6200), and I'm powering it using a cc bec at 5.0v. The ESC's are dji 30 amp optos.

What happens when I power up is I get a solid led on the board and the ESC's initialize but they do not arm. It sounds like they don't see a low throttle. I tried setting my throttle as per the manual and reversing the throttle channel but no luck. If I plug the ESC's into the rx directly they all work fine.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Ok now I'm getting frustrated. I tried swapping out the rx and resetting the model on the tx with no luck. Then I tried the procedure to learn the throttle range and now all I get is no signal beeps from the ESC. I tested the power pins on the board and I'm getting 5.0 v to all the ESC's so it's not a power issue.

I also tried reflashing the firmware with kk flash tool and avr studio but I get nothing from either. My usbasp and the board both have solid red lights but no communication. I'm beginning to think my board is no good or somehow I cooked it.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Yes the motors are connected. The props are removed for safety.

This might be a dumb question but when using a bec do you plug it into the rx and then use the leads for ail,ele,rud,and throttle to power the board or would I power the board directly? I know I'm getting 5v at the pins to the ESC's and the board's led is lit so I assume it's powered properly but I thought I'd double check.