First post - First question!

WedgieFPV

Hi all! Not a complete noob to rc but still learning and on my first few planes/quads.

Today’s question is about my first wing build. Building the Goblin.
So my question Is in reguards to the parts I chose to use.
I had a backup Hypetrain 2306 for my quad I decided to use and a older esc out of a fixed wing. It’s a turnigy plush 40a.
Are these not compatible? Motor spins but makes some horrible noises and glitchy/banging. Would it be a protocol issue or something? Was only testing motor direction and noticed the issues. Got quite warm considering it was only breif use. Screws aren’t protruding, nothing touching, motor brand new.
Thanks in advance, Dan

Attachments

• 3E288353-39AF-4DA5-9BD0-B11D66867645.jpeg
    3E288353-39AF-4DA5-9BD0-B11D66867645.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jaredstrees

If you've calibrated it, and it works but not well then I'd agree with mrjd. It doesn't happen too often ,but I'll get a bunk motor once in a while.

WedgieFPV

Noises are actually more at low throttle, terrible just off min thr, gets more smooth once you’re 1/3 thr. To explain the “clicking” sound, imagine a car idling and one cylinder missing every few resolutions.
Just googled the Manual for this ESC and it mentions something about the high kv motor timing. I don’t know anything about timing, how would I tell?

Attachments

• 1F4E4095-C1F2-42DA-8FA3-B67EA09A6E0E.jpeg
    1F4E4095-C1F2-42DA-8FA3-B67EA09A6E0E.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 0

jaredstrees

Some brushless motors or timed, which means you'd have the three motor leads and a fourth wire. If that's the case, you need an ESC that can handle timed motors. I haven't seen a timed motor for plane stuff, usually car stuff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That sound on quads is usually too low pids. I would try changing motor timing in the esc as those motors are much higher kv then alot of planes so default esc settings for a plane might be the issue.

WedgieFPV

Yeah it is a high kv, it’s the 2650kv. Definitely overkill but only spare motor I got. I’ll try changing the timing and give that a go! Thanks peeps

Andrew

G'day Mate
A long time ago I experienced the same thing with the Red Plush ESC and high Kv motor (3000Kv). In my case I was lucky enough to already have a Turnigy program card. Changing the timing from low to medium completely fixed the problem.
The red Plush ESCs were very popular back in the early days of multirotors (multiwii/Kk2 flight controllers), most people would re-flash the Plush ESC firmware to SimonK or BLheli to avoid that timing issue.

Bricks

Master member
Can you try a different ESC I had about the same problem turned out it was the ESC was bad. Hope you plan on putting some heat shrink over your solder joints.

WedgieFPV

Can you try a different ESC I had about the same problem turned out it was the ESC was bad. Hope you plan on putting some heat shrink over your solder joints.
Haha yeah mate, heat shrink is in the photo just not slid over. Was checking motor direction 😉

WedgieFPV

I’ll change the motor timing see how that goes, if not ill try a esc from the quad. Watch this space! I’ll give you a update. Thanks for all the help!

d8veh

Elite member
All motors will get hot, with a risk of burning, if you try and run them when not running right. Try not to go past half throttle until it's sorted.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst it might not be the issue you seem to have I had a similar problem with one of my smaller motors a while ago. I persisted with it as the plane did not require that much power. After a while I noticed that 3/4ths of the motor coils were quite discoloured due to heat but the remainder of the coils were still bright and shiny.

I measured the motor winding resistances using a low ohm meter and found a considerable difference. As I had no spare to hand I disassembled the motor and ran the motor leads back to the coils and found a tiny break in one of the coil wires. A quick solder and clean up and the motor was put back in to service at its full rated power!

That was over 6 months ago and the motor is still going strong!

Just a strange failure experience that might be relevant to you!

Have fun!

WedgieFPV

Whilst it might not be the issue you seem to have I had a similar problem with one of my smaller motors a while ago. I persisted with it as the plane did not require that much power. After a while I noticed that 3/4ths of the motor coils were quite discoloured due to heat but the remainder of the coils were still bright and shiny.

I measured the motor winding resistances using a low ohm meter and found a considerable difference. As I had no spare to hand I disassembled the motor and ran the motor leads back to the coils and found a tiny break in one of the coil wires. A quick solder and clean up and the motor was put back in to service at its full rated power!

That was over 6 months ago and the motor is still going strong!

Just a strange failure experience that might be relevant to you!

Have fun!

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind :)

Last edited: