First Post...Nearing Completion of My First FT plane, the Simple Cub. Question on Wheel Attachment

DrewTest

Hey all,
Almost done with my Simple Cub. A question on wheels. The FT build video demonstrates placing a glob of glue at the tip of the wheel axle to keep the wheel from falling off. Is there any other solution that is...uh...a bit more elegant?
IMG_20200201_172324509.jpg

Last edited:

hitjim

I had the same thought on the FT Scout I just finished - and left "I'm gonna crash this" brown :p ... your cub looks amazing!

I made it slightly fancier with some washers on either side of the wheel. I especially prefer to keep the wheel from "creeping" in on the inner bend of the axle out of fear it won't track smoothly.

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_170704946.jpg
    IMG_20200201_170704946.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200201_170716189.jpg
    IMG_20200201_170716189.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
I had the same thought on the FT Scout I just finished - and left "I'm gonna crash this" brown :p ... your cub looks amazing!

I made it slightly fancier with some washers on either side of the wheel. I especially prefer to keep the wheel from "creeping" in on the inner bend of the axle out of fear it won't track smoothly.

I also went the washer route for a while. Eventually I got tired of replacing hot glue blobs and bought wheel collars. FT Store Link

DrewTest

Thanks for the wheel collar suggestion (and all the likes, too!). I looked at the FT shop link...several size collars are displayed. Given the gauge of the wire for Simple Cub's landing gear, which size collar should I order?

I also just discovered these nice wheel hubs in the catalog, but can not determine if they would the Cub's wire gauge wheel strut: https://store.flitetest.com/dubro-micro-wheel-collars-4-pieces-1.5mm-dub944/p61279

Let me know your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
I also went the washer route for a while. Eventually I got tired of replacing hot glue blobs and bought wheel collars. FT Store Link

Odd that Those wheel collars don’t come with the wires & wheels in the FLT-2062 kit. Until now I haven’t worried about it much, I just spin the wheels before launching & note that they roll on take-off. The key to a wheel migrating into the wire bend & getting stuck would be a ground loop on take-off. BFCR (Build Fly Crash Repeat) Figure9

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
One trick I have used when fitting wheels late at night and my wheel collar stock is depleted is to cut a few short lengths of 6mm BBQ skewer and drill a hole through the centre of each piece.
I then use a large pair of sidecutters to put notches in the end of the landing gear wire so that the glue has something to bite into.
Next I fit the wheel, (maybe using another piece of BBQ skewer as a spacer if required), and then slide the piece of skewer aforementioned.

Now I either use epoxy or even CA to glue the skewer piece in to position. When dry the wheel is locked on for all but the most horrific of landing accidents.

To remove them just crush the skewer with a pair or pliers and break of the skewer piece. At worst a little knife work to remove any excess glue and the wheel will slide straight off.

Works for me!

Have fun!

DrewTest

Hey All, thanks for suggesting wheel collars. As a noob, I would've otherwise not known they existed. I went to my nearby hobby shop, Hobby Express in Milford/Miami Twp Ohio, and found 1/8" collars...they didn't have metric sizes. They have more play in the interior diameter than what I would've wanted, but ensuring the screw is securely tightened addresses that. Besides, there is also a lot of play in the wheel as it slides over the wire axle, already. Since there were four collars in a pack, I used two to keep the wheel from traveling into the bend/angle on the interior face of the wheel. IMG_20200209_135340333.jpg

To trim off the excess axle, I was lucky enough to already have a Dremel tool with a cuttoff bit. I read many complaints on the build video that attempting to cut off excess axle wire with wire cutters was VERY difficult, and I can see why. The Dremel tool approach is much preferred, IMO. IMG_20200209_135325566.jpg
Since this is a hobby...not an essential...I will have to wait about a month longer before I can purchase the lipo batteries, receiver, charger and transmitter...something along the lines of a Spektrum DXe 6-channel. So for now, my Simple Cub will just have to hibernate...or incubate...waiting for winter to end.

K3V0

Elite member
You can usually find shaft (wheel) collars at the hardware store too! They work just the same and you can browse all the other hardware bits for inspiration too😁

Tench745

Master member
You can usually find shaft (wheel) collars at the hardware store too! They work just the same and you can browse all the other hardware bits for inspiration too😁
My local hardware has shaft collars, but the price for one or two is about the same as a 4-pack of Du-Bro collars. Your mileage may vary.

K3V0

Elite member
Man, Du-Bro is great! I definitely get wheels from them. If I lived in the snow I’d check out their skis as well

Maxx

Hey all,
Almost done with my Simple Cub. A question on wheels. The FT build video demonstrates placing a glob of glue at the tip of the wheel axle to keep the wheel from falling off. Is there any other solution that is...uh...a bit more elegant?
View attachment 156491
Absolutely beautiful build . So clean .... What did you use for color ? It looks like vinyl on the wings .

daxian

Elite member
being a cheapskate ..i chose this way for the ones i have with wheels ..connectors come in a few sizes ..props come with spacers ,never use the smaller sizes ...takes a few minutes to cut out the brass from the plastic ..and a dremel to cut them in half ...

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_104432.jpg
    IMG_20200412_104432.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 0

hitjim

I also found there was a lot of play in the speed-build kit landing gear wire and the wheels I got. I opted to get some brass tubing. The wheels rattle around less, track more true, and the brass tubing acts almost like a sleeve bearing. Adding this meant I didn't need the inner collar, which was good because there was just barely enough on the outside of the wheel to put on the collar.

I also remembered an old trick - using a metal file to flatten/notch the gear just enough for the set screw to hold tightly and resist spinning/popping off the axle.