First post ramblings: Combat robotics and parts overlap with fliers.

Wflagg

im picking up combat robotics as a hobby, and while learning about that and falling down a youtube hole, i have learned that insect class combat robots and hobby drones/planes share a lot of overlap in parts. because many of the parts i use to build robots already have software for running drones/helis/planes, its been useful for me to learn about what they do when in their proper setting. In the process, i've found a desire to build a Gremlin with FPV. This takes a back seat to being combat ready for the next big event, but for sure is on the list.

Also, are the servos in the power packs modifiable for be 360?I might get one, and build a plane, then when i get bored of it, tear it down and see if i can turn the electronics into a bot

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Also, are the servos in the power packs modifiable for be 360?I might get one, and build a plane, then when i get bored of it, tear it down and see if i can turn the electronics into a bot

I would hazard a guess that most servos are hackable to be 360, you just need to remove the plastic stops on the final drive gear and case. I have done this with a couple of servos that were originally bought for planes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
You might be interested in combat events like they have at Flite Fest. They have two rules, be safe & hit the other guy before he hits you.

Wflagg

yeah, ive enjoyed watching a few of the combat videos. On more than one occasion i've found myself wondering if it would be possible to make a flying tombstone and how much trouble i could get myself into with it. currently my budget only covers one trip to orlando a year though, and thats reserved for makers faire.

Piotrsko

Master member
Flying tombstone: very possible, see some of the barn door flying wing posts. Just a different paint job.

Trouble flying tombstone: not likely unless you stole it or it is yours

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you go to Orlando FL, it would be worth your time to stop by Graves Hobby Shop.