First quad build - H Quad. Have some questions

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
So I finally got all the parts together and finished my first quad. Below is a video and photo of the quad.

Just a quick rundown on specs:
Motors: Turnigy 2826 1400KV
Control Board: KK2.1.5
Props: 8x4.7
ESC: ebay special, said to have simonK firmware
Battery: 2200mA turnigy lipo 3S
Radio: Turnigy 9x (stock firmware... for now)

I had its maiden flight yesterday at work in the gym and it seems to fly ok as you can see in the video. I'm relatively new to quad flight but have had a nano qx for a few months now working on getting the hang of flying. That said I do have some questions.

I have 8" props on there now, I also have some 10" props that I tried today. Whats the better prop? does larger/smaller affect control or stability in anyway?

I flashed the KK2.1.5 board with stevies V1.18S1 Pro. Good call or bad? What firmware should I be using?

I have the auto level on the 5th channel switch on my radio to turn it on and off.

Any help on PI values? I don't really even understand what they mean. I found a video online and used those values to start.

Prop balancing, can I unplug 3 of the 4 ESCs to balance the one prop or will the KK board freak out?

Final question, when go through the menu on the KK board, the ESCs beep but not in unison, is that bad? they are all close but you can hear all 4 individual beeps one after another. Sign of cheap ESCs or am I fine? I thought I calibrated it right but maybe not.

Ok so that was a lot of questions, what can I say, I'm new at this!

Thanks!

Justin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9V779lyhvc

khostr

Looking Nice! Its good to use a few batteries on getting used to the quad flying around in circles or walking the dog or 8 pattern

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
There is a HUGE difference in the amount of power draw between 8" rotors and 10" rotors.

You have some pretty beefy motors but test them and the ESCs for heat regularly until you know the motors can handle 10" rotors.

After that, the 10" rotors will give you a lot more thrust.

ESCs beeping at different times is ok.

Do all your motors start at the same time? If not you still need to synch the ESCs.

Tune PI if the copter wobbles so badly that you can't hover. If you can hover, learn to hover and fly in acro mode before you start messing with tuning PI.

Steveis makes the good firmware. Stock firmware blows. By flashing you have saved yourself some pain and heartache.

Congratulations! Welcome to being able to fly your own builds. :)