First Scratch build! (Simple Scout)

MadMech86

I’m pretty new to the hobby and although I’ve been reading the FT forums for a while, I have never made a post. I received a RTF Sport Cub S for Christmas 2018, and I have been hooked ever since. Not long after that, I was going through the garage and started selling anything that was collecting dust from not being used anymore. After about a month of selling things, I had enough money to go buy a Simple Storch SBK, Power Pack C, DX8, and everything else needed to complete the build. I flew that plane almost every weekend…fly, crash, repair, repeat. Eventually it was time to build a new plane, and I was pretty sure I wanted to build the Simple Scout. Because I was working with the electronics from the Storch, I was a little concerned the power pack C and 2200mah batteries wouldn’t work in that plane; however, it seemed that at least a few people in the FT community have had success doing it, so I decided I was going to at least try.

IMG_3520.JPG IMG_3543.JPG IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3546c.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it flies great! It is a touch on the nose heavy side, but it doesn't seem to mind at all when flying. It does, however, like to nose over at the end of its roll out when landing, but I'll keep working to see how I can improve that.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Nice job! What are you landing on though? Also, do you keep pulling up until the plane slows down?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great looking scout! The scout was my second plane after the old speedster, and it flys great! I love the paint scheme on yours! I painted mine like a hangar 9 ultra stick, and I plane on writing up on it soon. My scout always seems to nose over except when I use super high bush tires that are on really short landing gear. Have fun - it’s an awesome plane! I also have the ft spitfire with like twice the recommended throws 😃. It is a handful sometimes, but a super great plane that I would totally recommend for another build!

MadMech86

Nice job! What are you landing on though? Also, do you keep pulling up until the plane slows down?
Thank you, I’m landing on the grass you see in the picture of my daughter holding the plane. Yes I do keep pulling up until the plane slows down, should I be doing something different?

MadMech86

Great looking scout! The scout was my second plane after the old speedster, and it flys great! I love the paint scheme on yours! I painted mine like a hangar 9 ultra stick, and I plane on writing up on it soon. My scout always seems to nose over except when I use super high bush tires that are on really short landing gear. Have fun - it’s an awesome plane! I also have the ft spitfire with like twice the recommended throws 😃. It is a handful sometimes, but a super great plane that I would totally recommend for another build!
Thank you, I would like to see that! I'll keep my eyes out for the write up. The Spitfire will be on the list for sure. I already have the plans printed, I came close to building that but decided on the Scout.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thank you, I would like to see that! I'll keep my eyes out for the write up. The Spitfire will be on the list for sure. I already have the plans printed, I came close to building that but decided on the Scout.
I’ll give you all a sneak peak😉 You can see from my avatar I’m a pretty big fan of the plane😃

Attachments

• BC08F3B0-1971-491B-9638-46AECC559C6F.jpeg
    BC08F3B0-1971-491B-9638-46AECC559C6F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Thank you, I’m landing on the grass you see in the picture of my daughter holding the plane. Yes I do keep pulling up until the plane slows down, should I be doing something different?
No you’re good. The plane looks great by the way.

Hoomi

Master member
Great looking bird! I've been flying my Simple Scout on a 3S 1300 mAh battery, and haven't had any problems with nose-over on landing. Our field has a packed dirt runway, though, so little inhibiters to free-rolling forward. I have a second battery on the way for her (should be here today), so I can get more flying time with her on the weekends. She's rapidly becoming one of my favorite go-to airplanes for fun flying, as she can be as sedate as I want, but has the capability to be far more aggressive than I'm ready to handle yet.

MadMech86

Great looking bird! I've been flying my Simple Scout on a 3S 1300 mAh battery, and haven't had any problems with nose-over on landing. Our field has a packed dirt runway, though, so little inhibiters to free-rolling forward. I have a second battery on the way for her (should be here today), so I can get more flying time with her on the weekends. She's rapidly becoming one of my favorite go-to airplanes for fun flying, as she can be as sedate as I want, but has the capability to be far more aggressive than I'm ready to handle yet.
Thanks! It’s definitely a big battery to have that far forward, but it’s what I have at the moment. It still has a pretty wide flight envelope and 15+ minute flight times are great! I raked the landing gear forward a bit to help prevent tip over and it seems to be working. I’m going to try and figure out a way to have the battery sit between the landing gear.

Hoomi

Master member
You might be able to put some Velcro on the bottom of the plane, and add a strap for additional security. I know on mine, I checked the fit of a 1600 mAh battery, and while I could make it work, it puts the wires or the back of the battery (depending on orientation) mighty close to the spinning propeller. With 5+ minute flights out of a 1300 mAh battery, though, I'm not too worried about going larger. Instead, this past Sunday I ordered a second 1300 mAh battery for the Scout, along with a second 1600 mAh battery for the Stinger, and total with shipping from Motion RC was under $38. The new batteries arrived yesterday, using the upgraded shipping to USPS Priority (maybe $3 extra, IIRC).

Hoomi

Master member
I have several of the Admiral batteries, and I've been quite happy with them (such that I had no hesitation to ordering two more this week). The general consensus over on the Hobbysquawk forums is that Admiral are some of the best batteries for the buck.