First Scratch Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just a suggestion to save you distress when trying to balance at the end of the build.

Do a fit up, (no glue), of everything and check the balance. This is just in case you need to alter the design to get it to balance. The easiest method is to mount the servos further aft if the plane is nose heavy or further forward if the plane is tail heavy.

as for the mounting of the servos they do not need to be buried inside the fuselage as they can be difficult to access or replace if needed. once the balance is determined they can be cut through the fuselage sides and the pushrods run externally. This is what I recommend for those starting out as the salvaging of parts for the replacement build is much simpler. Also once you learn to fly properly then you can do a Aesthetic build and bury those ugly servos!

Just a suggestion!

Have fun!
That all sounds good. Specifically do you mean make holes for the wires and glue and servos to the exterior?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That all sounds good. Specifically do you mean make holes for the wires and glue and servos to the exterior?
Nah, Something a bit more brutal. Cut a rectangular hole slightly smaller than the servo itself and force the servo into the hole. A few dots of Hotmelt to stop it from falling out and away you go!

To remove the servo, unplug, remove the hotmelt dots, and of course remove the connection to the control surfaces and then just a firmish pull and it is removed. to replace just reverse the procedure. Quite simple. PLUS making those initial setup adjustments are easy because everything is out in the open and fully accessible.

Just what i do!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Nah, Something a bit more brutal. Cut a rectangular hole slightly smaller than the servo itself and force the servo into the hole. A few dots of Hotmelt to stop it from falling out and away you go!

To remove the servo, unplug, remove the hotmelt dots, and of course remove the connection to the control surfaces and then just a firmish pull and it is removed. to replace just reverse the procedure. Quite simple. PLUS making those initial setup adjustments are easy because everything is out in the open and fully accessible.

Just what i do!

Have fun!
Thank you. The Journey continues.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Missed a couple of parts.

IMG_0121.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Two of them. For the next, I had to remove the foam from the hash lines. I thought about it a bit. I decided to just tape the template down, cut the lines for the foam removal, and then just cut the whole thing out.

IMG_0123.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am using three different blades at the moment. The red one is the newest. The handle is a help. I'm still using a fat-handled exacto to cut the paper. The other blades come in afterwards, to complete the cut through the foam. The part with the foam removed? Yep. Cut through the paper. I do that a lot. There is Scotch Magic Tape on the backside.

IMG_0124.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
THE BOX currently holds the leavings of two planes. I think I need a bigger box. So I pulled out the bit of plan that had what was missing...

IMG_0127.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Day off from work, I got to build some! Whoots! It's just fiddly bits, but it was fun. Here is a piece of card stock with a circle cut into it. Whoots!
IMG_0129.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here's the bit of card stock glued poorly to the the supports I made in my last post. Anyone else would have put the text on the inside. Another inside-out part. Doh!

IMG_0130.JPG

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I stretched things a bit, and got everything glued down in a mostly symmetrical manner. I will have to do some cutting. But that's not the important thing. The important thing is that this plane has an open cockpit and it needs a pilot! He was a toy of my son's who became a mascot when I was heavy into sportbikes. This gentleman is brave and headstrong and is going to pilot the Scout. (Love, prayers and pity to him.) However, he doesn't yet have a name...

IMG_0131.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My pilot told me that was a crap-ass picture of him. So I took another. Apparently he came to the build site on a snowboard.

IMG_0132.JPG

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
By the build vid, I next affix the control horns. I don't have any marks for those. Doh! Back into THE BOX we go...

PoorManRC

Master member
I should have found this sooner!!!!
This Mate, is an excellent Build Thread. You well demonstrate the trials and tribulations of how Scratchbuilding REALLY is, beyond the Videos, where the failed, fiddly bits have been cut out!!

ONE of my 2 kits I'm expecting should be here soon (A Pack sized and a C Pack Sized)......
I WILL be referencing your Build, as part of my self tutorial. ;) I don't have ANY friends, or anyone with any RC Aircraft experience, within 100 miles of me. I'm an island, on my own.

.... This is something I SHOULD have taken up when I used to live in either Illinois or New York. I reckon I'd be building in groups much more frequently.

BEST OF LUCK with this!! I will be watching, and cheering you on.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I should have found this sooner!!!!
This Mate, is an excellent Build Thread. You well demonstrate the trials and tribulations of how Scratchbuilding REALLY is, beyond the Videos, where the failed, fiddly bits have been cut out!!

ONE of my 2 kits I'm expecting should be here soon (A Pack sized and a C Pack Sized)......
I WILL be referencing your Build, as part of my self tutorial. ;) I don't have ANY friends, or anyone with any RC Aircraft experience, within 100 miles of me. I'm an island, on my own.

.... This is something I SHOULD have taken up when I used to live in either Illinois or New York. I reckon I'd be building in groups much more frequently.

BEST OF LUCK with this!! I will be watching, and cheering you on.
My friend, you are no longer an island. If you've read through this thread, you've seen how other's on this forum have stepped in with help and advice. You are now part of the community I have so recently become a part of. I am going to say "Welcome" a second time. Because, now? You get it, and that's awesome.

PoorManRC

Master member
My friend, you are no longer an island. If you've read through this thread, you've seen how other's on this forum have stepped in with help and advice. You are now part of the community I have so recently become a part of. I am going to say "Welcome" a second time. Because, now? You get it, and that's awesome.

I finally got it, and very much appreciate it, my new friend!!
Within a few days, I'll be ready to say....
Pass me a Beer, and let's get to WORK!! ;)(y)(y)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I finally got it, and very much appreciate it, my new friend!!
Within a few days, I'll be ready to say....
Pass me a Beer, and let's get to WORK!! ;)(y)(y)
I came back to this thread to update. I read what you wrote and it just made me happy. This is another memory that will make me smile, years down the road when I remember it. Thank you.