First Scratch Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So, I went back into THE BOX and found the plan piece for the tail immediately. Then I dug, and I dug and couldn't find the piece for the ailerons. So. All paper pieces out of THE BOX and there it is. That little black line is what I need. I'm done for the night. More to come. The Journey Continues.

IMG_0133.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
As it is your first build and your handle is @buzzbomb you could call him "V1".

have fun!
Maybe not. I'm currently thinking Lee Goalot. Anyone with ideas for other names for the pilot of my second plane, after I destroy the first?

I still haven't figured out how to glue the guy in. Just placing him in the cockpit, it's already become really complicated. I'm going to have to cut stuff just to glue him in securely. He is totally game, though. Whatever I've got to do to make it work, he seems all for it. I didn't say he was smart.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Maybe not. I'm currently thinking Lee Goalot. Anyone with ideas for other names for the pilot of my second plane, after I destroy the first?

I still haven't figured out how to glue the guy in. Just placing him in the cockpit, it's already become really complicated. I'm going to have to cut stuff just to glue him in securely. He is totally game, though. Whatever I've got to do to make it work, he seems all for it. I didn't say he was smart.
Just don't call him "I. Crashalot":giggle:

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just don't call him "I. Crashalot":giggle:

Have fun!
I play an online game called "Star Pirates" if you enjoy this forum, you'd probably enjoy that free game. I bring it up because my Avatar in that game is "Sir Regenalot." Basically the same as "Crashalot", so no. That little lego man is the most heroic, bestest, not so smartests, BEST PILOT IN THE GALAXY!! I keep telling him that. He is going to pilot my second bird all the way to it's death. He knows I haven't flown the first yet, but he doesn't care. He's got a helmet!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The build continues. I missed some stuff. I later marked it out. Apparently poorly. The servo horn on the aileron is not perpendicular. Is that going to cause problems?

IMG_0134.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The build continues. I missed some stuff. I later marked it out. Apparently poorly. The servo horn on the aileron is not perpendicular. Is that going to cause problems?

View attachment 118555
You'll be ok with that! Just make sure that the pushrod does not bind in the hole! You may need to bend the pushrod so that the part that goes through the hole is perpendicular to the hole. Do not drill it out as that will cause slop as the control horn wears!

have fun!

Mode 1

You made the same mistake I did. You glued in the control horn before adding your pushrod.
If that's the Mini Scout you'll have difficulties attaching the pushrod and then threading it back into the fuse. What I did is I left the pushrod at it's original length and then bent it enough to get it back into the fuse. I then trimmed it at the proper length once it was in and then attached it to the servo. As I build planes in pairs, I actually did this twice ;)

I love the Mini Scout, one of my favorite little planes. We have a blast flying ours!

scouts.jpg

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You made the same mistake I did. You glued in the control horn before adding your pushrod.
If that's the Mini Scout you'll have difficulties attaching the pushrod and then threading it back into the fuse. What I did is I left the pushrod at it's original length and then bent it enough to get it back into the fuse. I then trimmed it at the proper length once it was in and then attached it to the servo. As I build planes in pairs, I actually did this twice ;)

I love the Mini Scout, one of my favorite little planes. We have a blast flying ours!

View attachment 118564
Nice finish!

Here is my version which is now flying under a new Squadron commander!
IMG_20151106_073912.jpg

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Some of the crew I've spoken with have said they have met Banken. From what they've said, he's a pretty darn good pilot up to a point.
Nice finish!

Here is my version which is now flying under a new Squadron commander!
View attachment 118592

Have fun!
Wow. Just wow. You've got some serious build-skills! I never noticed before, but that is some serious downthrust on that bird. I've also been curious about the prop savers. Since you're using one, I'm guessing they work.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The motor had a prop saver inbuilt and it really saved me a lot of props!

It had great difficulty doing a straight ground run with flexible undercarriage and small wheels but it worked! It gave me a lot of grounding handling experience which is invaluable now when I finally get around to testing that new design!

The motor shown was a genuine park 280 and it really screamed hence the somewhat massive down and side thrust angles. I do not want to scare the thread founder but it was a rocket at full throttle and by swinging the rudder from side to side quickly I could even get it to roll, (not bad for a 3 channel setup).

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The motor had a prop saver inbuilt and it really saved me a lot of props!

It had great difficulty doing a straight ground run with flexible undercarriage and small wheels but it worked! It gave me a lot of grounding handling experience which is invaluable now when I finally get around to testing that new design!

The motor shown was a genuine park 280 and it really screamed hence the somewhat massive down and side thrust angles. I do not want to scare the thread founder but it was a rocket at full throttle and by swinging the rudder from side to side quickly I could even get it to roll, (not bad for a 3 channel setup).

Have fun!
Big motor, little plane. Equals experimentation. I am so good with and love that. Throw the rudder to get it to roll? I am so far from that, it really scares me. Me personally? That's a dead bird. I haven't even flown yet, but I know for me? That bird is done. One day maybe I can do that.

You do realize we need video, right? If it's not compulsory yet, I'll keep posting until it is. Love you, Mate. We need video. The Journey Continues.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Big motor, little plane. Equals experimentation. I am so good with and love that. Throw the rudder to get it to roll? I am so far from that, it really scares me. Me personally? That's a dead bird. I haven't even flown yet, but I know for me? That bird is done. One day maybe I can do that.

You do realize we need video, right? If it's not compulsory yet, I'll keep posting until it is. Love you, Mate. We need video. The Journey Continues.
For your first launch I advise that you hand launch at around 50% throttle! I had to ease the throttle gently forward whilst using full, (more than the throw advised) to keep it straight enough to gain speed and lift off! As for video, just something I do not supply as I would rather fly my money than make proof for those who just like to watch but never try and fly themselves!

Besides to post video I believe you have to first post it on FAKEBOOK which I avoid as rigorously as possible. I rarely even watch the videos posted herein unless much attempts have been undertaken to get it to fly and nothing seems to work! In the past I have even built FT designs I that did not appeal to me just so I could determine if there was something inherent in a design that could cause a scratch builder issues rather than watch endless FAKEBOOK videos. After testing and modification, if required, I just strip them out and give the airframe away. Depending upon the recipient the stripping out maybe ignored.

Sorry it is just me I suppose!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
..... I thought we could post Videos from YouTube? I too, avoid FAKEBOOK like the Plague!!
Neither has exactly been a friend to me. I'll still be posting Videos, to give you Guys a laugh, and to help my budding new Hobby!!

You are already way past this point. :) I, certainly among others, appreciate the help and support you give.