First Scratch Build

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As far as flying a foamboard plane goes, I'm still fighting the sim. I want the sim time before I take my TT up. Just a few hours to get the basics down. Working on it.
You really need to be using the SIM and the sacrificial TT to learn. There is something coming for the TT and it might really want you to hurry and get flying!

Best development I have seen for the TT in 2 years! Being released soon!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
The thing in his ear turned out to be dead skin cells. Apparently, it's a thing that just happens to a small percentage of the population. Left alone it would have grown and led to loss of hearing in that ear.

It's now been removed. He goes back to MEPS on Wednesday.

TWO Miracles in one Day!!!! That's Great! :)
I was talking to an old Friend, now an Army First Sgt., killing time till Retirement in Recruitment Office. He tells me, "Well, it's not the Cakewalk that the Air Force is, but MEPS is a LOT smoother than it used to be! The now want Boys with more brains than Braun."

Seems the Army has a lot more Gizmos and Gadgets than they used to! ;)

PoorManRC

Master member
As far as flying a foamboard plane goes, I'm still fighting the sim. I want the sim time before I take my TT up. Just a few hours to get the basics down. Working on it.

My Friend, I would honestly Advise you to put something UP sacrificial - and FLY!!
Sims are great (although I still believe that the 1:1 Sim is far more conducive to actual Flight Training), the RC Sims are excellent for getting your Thumbs ready for the TX!!! Also seems good for when you're ready to do more than just Fly.....
Like flicking all those other Switches WHILE Flying! ;)

PoorManRC

Master member
In my opinion it makes the redesigned fuselage and even the canard versions look like a waste of time, effort, and FB.

Was even able to test fly the initial design and it is beyond great!
Have fun!

Well then, I'm REALLY glad that Tim's cutting another TT for me. I can't WAIT to play with THAT!!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
TWO Miracles in one Day!!!! That's Great! :)
I was talking to an old Friend, now an Army First Sgt., killing time till Retirement in Recruitment Office. He tells me, "Well, it's not the Cakewalk that the Air Force is, but MEPS is a LOT smoother than it used to be! The now want Boys with more brains than Braun."

Seems the Army has a lot more Gizmos and Gadgets than they used to! ;)
From my child's experience, that seems true. He's been weighed so many times at so many places that I believe the scales at MEPS are calibrated low, to allow the overweight to enter. The military has ways to fix overweight, and just waive through the under weight.

He'll be on a high-protein diet, extra exercise and might gain a couple pounds. That's from my experience. Those pounds gained were all muscle mass, so they'll do him good as they did me. As far as brains? He's just as naive and stupid as his Dad. I don't suck at figuring things out, though. I suspect it'll be the same for him. Wednesday. Shoot. Here we go again.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Parts? Did somebody say parts? I got a couple in the mail today...
IMG_0156.JPG

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow enough props for week!:p

Have fun!
I love you, too. You just cracked me up. I laughed. :LOL: Strangers on the internet, who got into a barfight and then became friends. I'm glad I'm here.

I'm thinking maybe I'll hotglue one of those props on your helmet right where a mustache would be. Shoot, I'm cracking up just picturing it! :ROFLMAO:

PoorManRC

Master member
Parts? Did somebody say parts? I got a couple in the mail today... View attachment 119748

You Two are cracking me up, at a time when I desperately need a laugh!!
I'm going to be in serious trouble.... If that's a WEEK'S worth of Props, I'm not going to get through my first DAY!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::(:cry:

I'm going with 8x4.5 to 8x6 for my little Planes, and a 10x4.5, 10x6 and 10x7 for the FrankenStorch....
Are those OK???

Hey...... I may like that Name for Her! ;)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You Two are cracking me up, at a time when I desperately need a laugh!!
I'm going to be in serious trouble.... If that's a WEEK'S worth of Props, I'm not going to get through my first DAY!! :ROFLMAO::LOL::(:cry:

I'm going with 8x4.5 to 8x6 for my little Planes, and a 10x4.5, 10x6 and 10x7 for the FrankenStorch....
Are those OK???

Hey...... I may like that Name for Her! ;)

Yep - good prop sizes for what you're building I think.

d8veh

Elite member
I'd stick with the 10x4.5 with a 3S battery, I think the current will be too high with a 10x7, and probably on the order with a 10x6. If you have all three, start with the 10x4.5. If it as enough power, there's no point in risking the others. Which ESC are you planning to use?

PoorManRC

Master member
I'd stick with the 10x4.5 with a 3S battery, I think the current will be too high with a 10x7, and probably on the order with a 10x6. If you have all three, start with the 10x4.5. If it as enough power, there's no point in risking the others. Which ESC are you planning to use?

I do want to keep things on the safer side.... There's NOTHING for more Props.
WHEN I'm ready to take the FrankenStorch up, I'm likely Maidening with a 2S. I've seen Videos, it looks quite stable on 2S. Would that need a stronger Prop? 3S will be coming later. This time of year here has barely a whisper of Wind before Noon.
And..... I've got a Hobbywing 35A ESC for that one.

The two smaller ones, I have a choice between 12A and 20A

d8veh

Elite member
If you're going to use a 2S battery, the 10x7 might be necessary. The Storch is quite big so the extra weight of rge 20A ESC is insignificant, That's the pne I'd use.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Update on the off-topic topic. My son is home from MEPS. He was sworn in and is now officially a member of the United States Army. He is going to be a 19d. Cavalry Scout. I saw the recruitment video. What it showed was a bunch of guys in combat gear running through the woods, jumping out of the back of APC's and busting into simulated residences.

I have no idea what he'll actually be doing, and I stressed that point to him at the beginning. It's a recruitment film. I've got some personal experience, there. He's a smart kid. He gets it. He's going in anyway. I love that boy.

He's got an enlistment term of 3 years, 19 months, with a 17 week basic. I'm not quite sure how long his AIT is (Advanced Individual Training. Basic Training is just that. It teaches you to be Army. AIT teaches you your job in the Army.) He leaves for Fort Benning, GA on July 19th. They told him he could leave the day after graduation, but the kid was smart enough to choose a later date and get a little breathing room. I told you he was a smart kid.

I'm not freaking out like I have been. It's done now. For better or for worse, my son is in the Army. Bartender a round of whatever everyone is having. I'm thinking a Stout for me would nice.