First serious LiPo mishap

earthsciteach

Took the quad out for a test hop a little bit ago. It was too dark, so I just went up and hovered, checked controls for a few secs and landed. Picked up the quad, unplugged everything and set it on one of our deck tables. A short time (with a minute (?) I hear a distinct, "PFFFFFFFFFTTTTT!" turned my head and the battery was off gassing. I grabbed the quad, ripped off the battery and threw it into the yard. Here's the result. It is quite painful. Be careful out there!

Attachments

• 11210294_10206630183778353_196148213_n.jpg
    11210294_10206630183778353_196148213_n.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 11180165_10206630223019334_1795191149_n.jpg
    11180165_10206630223019334_1795191149_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 17

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yikes Patrick! Glad to hear you caught it quick, but sorry you got hurt. Hope it'll heal quick and clean.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Ouch! Glad you and your property is okay. Do you know why it did that? Seems scary that it would randomly happen.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
That sucks. Hope it heals quick.

Those pesky electrons. Sometimes they seem to have a mind of their own.

abieex

Mentor
Sorry to hear that Patrick and hope you feel better soon. I have 5 batteries to get rid of today just not sure where to take them.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Teach,

Perhaps your multirotor demons weren't in the pesky flight control boards after all . . . they're in your lipos!

All your batteries look longingly at your fixed-wing planes all day, when you pull one out and strap it to a multirotor, they revolt!

hmm . . . batteries Re-volting . . . wouldn't all rechargeable packs do that? So was the off-gassing pack "un-volting"?

(sorry for your burn, but too many good directions to go with this ;) )

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry to hear that Patrick and hope you feel better soon. I have 5 batteries to get rid of today just not sure where to take them.

So long as the pack isn't hot, most of the BatteriesPlus stores will accept them for recycling. Not sure about other similar stores, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Someone needs to design a quick-release LiPo holder. Perhaps with an explosive charge to get it further away from the aircraft. Or something like an launch escape mechanism used on rockets.

earthsciteach

I'm fine. I have a BIG blister on my finger. Upon closer inspection of the offending cell, it looks like there is a tiny puncture hole. Probably landed on a rock of a stick in the yard. The Bat Bone legs are short and the battery is just slightly above the ground level when on a level surface.