First Solid Attempt at Scratch Build

ffjett3ch

I searched the forums for a first scratch build intermediate-level challenge and discovered the 40" PT-17 Stearman by member Aviator08. Just completed the build and I am happy with the result! I am debating whether to maiden this one, or to keep it for posterity's sake and build a second, not-so-pretty one to risk crashing (I'm a total noob at RC...only have an FT Flyer and Old Fogey under my belt).
image.jpeg image[1].jpeg image[2].jpeg

Mad_Mechanic

That looks really good! I like the choice of plane, I'm going to be starting my first scratch build soon on a PT-19. Love the old blue and yellow paint scheme.

ffjett3ch

That looks really good! I like the choice of plane, I'm going to be starting my first scratch build soon on a PT-19. Love the old blue and yellow paint scheme.
Thanks! The wings are Cub Yellow Monokote and the fuselage is a metallic UltraCote. Good luck on your build!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great looking build! I'm sure she wants to fly! Pick a very calm day, fly your other planes a bit first so you know what the conditions are like, have someone double check your control surface directions if you can (I hated losing a plane on maiden cause my ailerons were reversed), balance her a touch nose heavy, and go for it! :D

urbanrooster

Hey, I turned my Simple Cub into the "Grizzly" Cub learning to fly. I've now got some more confidence and have bought my next plane but the cub taught me a lot and learning 4 channel on a slow flying plane was very helpful. I'd build something cheap, 4 channel, foam board out of the parts from your fogy and push its limits hard to get used to getting yourself out of trouble and then maiden the nice new plane. Just a thought, we all know how fast it can hit the fan.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I searched the forums for a first scratch build intermediate-level challenge and discovered the 40" PT-17 Stearman by member Aviator08. Just completed the build and I am happy with the result! I am debating whether to maiden this one, or to keep it for posterity's sake and build a second, not-so-pretty one to risk crashing (I'm a total noob at RC...only have an FT Flyer and Old Fogey under my belt).
View attachment 124716 View attachment 124717 View attachment 124718
I'm afraid I don't understand the question. That's a beautiful build and it deserves to be flown. Crash the flight, own the flight, or just barely pull it off. That bird deserves to fly. It's not a static model, it's a living, breathing, foamboard RC aircraft!

If you haven't named it "256" I hereby dub it "256 Ways of Being Beautiful!" I say take it out. Crash it or not. It doesn't matter. You built that bird and she deserves to fly. Even if only once, she deserves to fly.

ffjett3ch

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. That's a beautiful build and it deserves to be flown. Crash the flight, own the flight, or just barely pull it off. That bird deserves to fly. It's not a static model, it's a living, breathing, foamboard RC aircraft!

If you haven't named it "256" I hereby dub it "256 Ways of Being Beautiful!" I say take it out. Crash it or not. It doesn't matter. You built that bird and she deserves to fly. Even if only once, she deserves to fly.

The unanimous consensus from this community is that I should not dare to deny such a creation that which it was destined for. I shall heed the advice of others, here, and at least give it the best chance of survival (preflight checks, once-over by a second set of eyes, calm winds, etc.) and fly!
Still very wet here. Maybe this coming weekend...

Mad_Mechanic

Don't forget to recite the following pre-flight mantra:

Maintain thine airspeed velocity, lest the earth rise up and smite thee.

This was the mantra my father and I used to recite when we would fly our control line aircraft.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Maintain thine airspeed velocity, lest the earth rise up and smite thee.
I see your point. Trying to be too gentle and not hurt the plane, is just as likely to crash it as getting crazy with it is. The point is: Fly it it the way it was designed to fly!