First time build - Tricopter, need help from expirenced builders:)

xibit1987

I know that the free gift i likely to be some silly thing that costs 50 cents, but then again, i like free stuff, even if it's silly ;)

I just don't think that it's fair that i have to ask for a compensation multiple time before getting one. The long delivery time in this case is their fault, without any doubt. It's not me that's impatient.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I ran into the "in stock" falsehood with DxExtreme before. The worst part is they waited to contact me around two weeks into the wait that it was "opps sorry, it's really out of stock" and did I want to drop the item from the order.

Sorry you had the problem with HK. Even though the wait has been long for me at times, and I've had dead on arrival items, for the most part, they are ok. It's one of the gambles dealing with Chinese manufacturers. To me, even with random quality control, it's still worth it ...at times barely... for the insane low prices.

Bluebug

Hi There,
I am also working on my first tricopter build. I have a kk2 board, A spektrum 6115E receiver (I had this handy) and a Spektrum DX7S Tx. I am using DT 750KV motors and Turnigy plush 18A ESCs.

What is the best way to program the Spektrum using Plane (Acro) or Heli?
Also does anyone have any recommended settings for the DX7S TX? I am new to the hobby and I wanted to start building one from scratch (So I can easily repair it when I crash).

Thank you

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
You'll use Aero. The KK2 setup will walk you through virtually all you need to do.

HERE's a KK2 setup for a quad, but it will get you started even with a tri.

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Electronics

Hi, I need a bit of help. I am trying to train on a cheap, X900, frame and then get a Bat Bone in the spring for FPV. I only want to buy one set of electronics, the recommended ones for the Bat Bone, since I'll be using it more often. There is only one question I have:

Why are Josh, Chad, and David using different electronics than the listed ones?

The listed motors aren't the same as the ones on the Bat Bone in the video and I'd like to use the best electronics I can find. Should I get a motor with the same KV or what? Basically I need to know what the best tricopter motor is. If someone would be kind enough to answer my question I'd greatly appreciate it. Recommendations Welcome, Tips for a newbie to tricopter and FPV Helpful :)

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There is no best. That's the real answer. There are so many motor types and combinations because of the differences in what and how people fly. I know that's not the answer you are looking for, but it's the best one I have.
Well, I can make a suggestion, also. Go with what they recommended originally. Those specs are proven to work and the later stuff you see them flying on is probably stuff they have gotten to test or have been comp'd on.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Thanks, not what I had expected.
I think I'll simply use RcExplorer's setup, works pretty well for him.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That would be David's setup and to be honest, he is so experienced in flying them, anything he flies will work well. The listed parts on the batbone give you a good starting point, where David's setup is much more agile than you want to learn on. It sounds like you have already made your decision, So just let us know if we can help in other ways.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
You said David's setup is too advanced for training, Two points:
1. I have been using a Hubsan X4 Mini Quadcopter, so this isn't my first multirotor; I just want to train on a big multirotor so I don't wreck the Bat Bone once I get it, it's so nice.
2. Would Expo Help with the training process on an advanced setup?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That changes things. Expo will be good for sure during training and since it's not your first, you can probably handle David's setup with little trouble. Those hubsan's are pretty agile themselves, so you should do well. And you won't be learning so much as transitioning to a larger airframe. That is a major distinction.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Okay then, now I'm not nervous, just have to order it, wish me luck!
Sorry, brother. I wasn't trying to scare you, just save you some grief. You could have let me known you already flew! lol
Good luck, get some video and let us know how it goes!

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I just found the motors:
HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-26S 800KV / 300W Brushless Motor, Finally my quest is over, however for the record, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I just found the motors:
HobbyKing NTM Prop Drive 28-30S 800KV / 300W Brushless Motor, Finally my quest is over, however for the record, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Good slow motors -- with a nice long prop should be pretty docile with a good payload capacity.

BTW, get the short shaft version if you can, and don't forget the accessory pack!