First time poster, long time watcher.

xApollo

Hey everyone! I am finally registered to the forums! I have been watching FT for about a year and recently went to my first FliteFest with my wife and two year old son. He absolutely loved it! (so did my wife and I!) I have been interested in RC for a long time but I just never had the room to be able to do it due to living in the city. I recently bought a house with some land and want to do some Quad Rotor building/flying.

Being that this is my first post, I would like to get a little bit of insight of a good starter kit with the ability to upgrade to FPV in the future. I am also interested in single prop planes as well but due to having neighbors, I think a quad is probably the best way to go to start.

I am working with a budget but can expand it if need be. I'm looking for bang for buck on the actual parts but looking for a controller that has good range, ability to use on multiple builds and wont be obsolete next year.

Thanks!

Josh (xApollo)

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Well let me welcome you to the Forums. I have a couple questions that will determine what I or others suggest for you. First have you flow a quad before? Have you flown fixed wing before? I ask this because there are a few kits you can buy to get you flying in your back yard. First is the NanoQX Quad. Its great indoors and really calm day when you take it outside. Also I am a big fan of the champ. I have little less then a 1/4 acre for my back yard. Its pretty much a big square with trees on three sides and house on the forth. I flew the champ no problem in that space. Same with the Nano. I even flew it FPV in my back yard. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.

xApollo

I am a relatively experienced ground RC driver but inexperienced in the aircraft field. I have flown a fixed wing gas powered one some years ago but never got into it because the cost was out of reach. I play a ton of flight sims and have flown Cessna's in the past but when it comes to RC flying, I'm quite the noob.

I am looking to get into all things RC (Flying). The first things I want to buy is a good transmitter that will have good range for my field days and not be obsolete quickly and a small quad diy kit to learn the fun trial and error of bulding. I am quite experienced in electronics and enjoy working with them. I'll probably build a modest flyer and maybe fiddle with some fpv in the future. I am interested in taking videos for when I fly with my son and on days that the wife isnt home, torment the cat. Haha just kidding, or am I?

I was considering purchasing a quick throw away m500 or m200 to get used to flying in the back yard and around the house without a significant investment in case it breaks or I crash it horribly.

Thanks again!

Josh

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Nah stick with the Nano. You can get a spektrum dx6 and you can use it with anything that has a spektrum receiver in it. Plus there are some pretty cool hop ups for the nano

xApollo

Sounds like a good start! Also, what are your thoughts on the similarly priced Graupner transmitters? I was considering getting a DX7 used. They are about the same price as the new DX6s. I'm torn though. I see FT use Graupner for the most part but its the highest end one.

Would you recommend the DX6/DX7 over the MZ-12/MZ18 for multirotor and fixed wing applications?

I'm only asking because I think the Graupner radios are much prettier haha.

Guybo

Yes I have:)

Yes I have been flying R.C. model airplanes sense 1990. I have flown R.C. model airplanes in Germany while I was stationed at Ramstein AB with the U.S. Air Force for 9 years and I have been flying here in the USA sense I returned from overseas. In the spring of 1999. I learned to fly Radio Controled model airplanes in Germany and flew there for the 9 years I was there. I have in the past 3 years flown micro quad copters and small electric helicopters. So to answer your questions Yes to all:) I hope to get into flying E.D.F Jet models as well soon:)

Last edited: