First time RC flyer at 71 and the Storch

twoturnin

For my .02$ the build videos are priceless as a RC dummy. Gear build was not that tough in a vice but Josh must have HULK fingers to bend that wire ! Used a neat enforcement material around bottom of gear/top of wing/around wood dowel pin holes----->>Home Depot and Lowes has "counter top color chips" that are tough as nails and glue/epoxy up great. They are F R E E ! Can be cut with a tough pair of scissors or Dremel tool. Sand or rough up and glue away. Electronics is a different story for me as a former AB captain yikes. Bought a DX8G2 to grow into that for me needs a Dummy owners manual it has sooooo many settings. Thank god for youtube vids. Have not flown it yet but will very soon. Looking for next foamie now to build and grow as well as LED lights. BTW looks like the easiest way for me to pwr the LED's is to tap between the ESC and Batt. as my LED will not light at less than 5 vts. Any addition tips would be great thanks Jack !

FDS

Elite member
You are right in taking LED power straight from the main battery lead, you can use a “step down module” which you can set to the required LED voltage or if you are using 3s power the 12v self adhesive led strips are cheap and can be powered right off the main battery.

slipshift

Welcome twoturnin, it's never too late, I started at 70 thanks to Flite Test and their foam plane plans. I also noticed Josh bending wire with long nosed pliers, all I got was pinched fingers so now I use small vice-grips.

Jim

clolsonus

They must have used stiffer wire in the kit than Josh used in the video! I also struggled to get my wires bent correctly. If I could offer any tip to first time storch builders it would be to find someway to add a bit of re-enforcement to the wing center. I epoxied some extra 3/8" hardwood stringers I bought up at the local hardware store. My wing is rock solid now with no worries of folding up in flight.

FDS

Elite member
I have to use a vice for tighter undercarriage bends, especially in 3mm. No sense in straining yourself trying to keep up with the build video! I will always let the tools take the strain.

Bricks

Master member
For me I use 12 volt LED`s and use male JST connectors that plug into my balance leads on the battery same as are on your charger for balancing, it does not matter how many cells it is. With the JST connectors you wire it up for the voltage you need for your LED`s. If you take your balance lead and use a volt meter ground it on the black lead negative and work you way thru the rest of the leads on a 4S battery it will go 3.9, 7.9, 11.8, 15.8 volts. Easiest way I have found to power LED`s

As for your DX8 it is a great radio if you need questions answered either come here or you can ask here,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1967153-Spektrum-DX6(G2-G3-e)-DX7(G2)-DX8(G2-e)-DX9-DX18G2-DX18T-DX20-Questions-and-Answers

Last edited:

twoturnin

Thanks all to the comebacks. Will post how the flight goes in 4 channel mode with no flaps yet. Will be sure to use Josh's kit included throw limits tool though the DX8 has the need percentages to check out throws. Had the thing in road for fast taxi test with the tail up ! Thanks again all.

Reactions: FDS

twoturnin

Welcome twoturnin, it's never too late, I started at 70 thanks to Flite Test and their foam plane plans. I also noticed Josh bending wire with long nosed pliers, all I got was pinched fingers so now I use small vice-grips.

Jim
Yap I don't know how he did that with not vice, was very impressed !