BenK

I’m looking into first time scratch building an RC plane for my year 12 systems engineering project. I’m looking for an experienced person who I can send progress updates and designs to, who can help me with feedback and suggestions. Amy help would be much appreciated.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I’m looking into first time scratch building an RC plane for my year 12 systems engineering project. I’m looking for an experienced person who I can send progress updates and designs to, who can help me with feedback and suggestions. Amy help would be much appreciated.
There are many Mentors and many other very experienced pilots, designers, and builders who frequent the forums. Post away! Also there is always the ability to use the messaging system to contact an individual if required, (in cases of fear of ridicule and the like). Bear in mind Private messaging continuously can upset some forum members!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Welcome to one of the greatest assists this hobby has!!
I started just back in September 2017 and the support and friendship I've received here has been life changing.

Posting pics and video (of flights) really help us diagnose and solve issues you might encounter.

If you've never flown RC aircraft before, I suggest the FT Tiny Trainer.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/flite-test-tiny-trainer
It's a great place to start (especially if you've got no one local to help with the maiden.)

BenK

There are many Mentors and many other very experienced pilots, designers, and builders who frequent the forums. Post away! Also there is always the ability to use the messaging system to contact an individual if required, (in cases of fear of ridicule and the like). Bear in mind Private messaging continuously can upset some forum members!

Have fun!

Thanks a lot for that introductory comment. I’m finding it irritating finding a few key pieces of information that I’ll need to take into account for when I come up with an initial design, such as; what is the ratio of length of wingspan to length of the plane (tip to rudder), how many mm should a wing taper down to and what sized motor would I need for various sizes of planes.

If I could get some help with these and other matters then I would be greatful.

Also, my teacher will not allow this project to go through if I don’t have a solid person/group I can rely upon for assistance, if you have spare time and a will to commit for this projects lifespan than please let me know.

Thanks- Ben

PS how do I send direct messages?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks a lot for that introductory comment. I’m finding it irritating finding a few key pieces of information that I’ll need to take into account for when I come up with an initial design, such as; what is the ratio of length of wingspan to length of the plane (tip to rudder), how many mm should a wing taper down to and what sized motor would I need for various sizes of planes.

If I could get some help with these and other matters then I would be greatful.

Also, my teacher will not allow this project to go through if I don’t have a solid person/group I can rely upon for assistance, if you have spare time and a will to commit for this projects lifespan than please let me know.

Thanks- Ben

PS how do I send direct messages?
Firstly direct messages can be sent by firstly holding the mouse pointer over the avatar of the person you wish to converse with and then select "Start conversation". From there you will be directed to your mail box? and you can type in your message & send.

As for your questions in relation to wing span Vs fuselage length and even the wing taper, they all totally depend upon the design objectives and the projected flight performance/envelope.

The first things you should define in your RC model design are;
1. The required all up weight, (including payload).
2. The size constraints if any! Any power system limitations if applicable, (including flight duration expected.
3. Take off and landing speeds required as well as launching and landing requirements, (undercarriage or no Retracts or No, as well as runway or rough field landings/takeoffs)!
4. High lift devices such as flaps or the like.
5. Construction methodology and materials to be used.
6. Wing layout, (Conventional, Canard, Flying Wing, Etc).
7. Pusher, tractor, EDF, Multi-engine or the like.
8. Design stability, (Pendulum, Dihedral, Polyhedral, Flight stabilizer or the like).
9. Mission profile!

I have models in my hangar that have very long fuselages W.R.T. the wingspan and they are normally for high speed flight in particular and at the other end of the scale I have 4 channel, (Rudder, elevator Aileron, and Throttle), models where the fuselage is less than 50% of the wingspan. Each and every model flies within its own flight envelope quite well.

If you are able to specify where you want your design to go and the mission profile and forum members would normally be more than willing to assist with information or even close or similar models that you could re-engineer!

Have fun!

BenK

Firstly direct messages can be sent by firstly holding the mouse pointer over the avatar of the person you wish to converse with and then select "Start conversation". From there you will be directed to your mail box? and you can type in your message & send.

As for your questions in relation to wing span Vs fuselage length and even the wing taper, they all totally depend upon the design objectives and the projected flight performance/envelope.

2. The size constraints if any! Any power system limitations if applicable, (including flight duration expected.
3. Take off and landing speeds required as well as launching and landing requirements, (undercarriage or no Retracts or No, as well as runway or rough field landings/takeoffs)!
8. Design stability, (Pendulum, Dihedral, Polyhedral, Flight stabilizer or the like).
9. Mission profile!

I have models in my hangar that have very long fuselages W.R.T. the wingspan and they are normally for high speed flight in particular and at the other end of the scale I have 4 channel, (Rudder, elevator Aileron, and Throttle), models where the fuselage is less than 50% of the wingspan. Each and every model flies within its own flight envelope quite well.

If you are able to specify where you want your design to go and the mission profile and forum members would normally be more than willing to assist with information or even close or similar models that you could re-engineer!

Have fun!

What is a mission profile?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A mission profile is a plot of the required flight plan and includes such things as height at distance, (including changes at various way-points), changes in travel vector or direction, Payload release point, if any, Speed required for each leg of the flight path, specific maneuvers required, (obstacle avoidance or the like), and any other information pertinent to tailoring the design and its range of operation!

Have Fun!

quorneng

Master member
BenK
As Hai-Lee is suggesting you really have to decide what function you want the plane to perform. A single engine Cessna is a passenger plane but then so is a Airbus A380 but they are very different and not only in size. although they do both have a fuselage, wing and tail surfaces.;)

So set yourself an objective of what you want your plane to do and any size limits you have then do some internet research to see if and how others (model and full size) have gone about achieving the same objective.
If you find your research suggests such planes all have similar shape characteristics then you might have some clues as to the likely layout of your plane. As aerodynamics is a very complex subject then might be time to ask on this forum 'why' any particular feature had been selected and what limitations there might be.

Don't forget to keep all your research information and include it in your project. Explaining the reasons why you did what you did in your project is almost certainly going to just as important, if not more so, than the results achieved!

BenK

9. Mission profile!

Have fun!

There we go, any suggestions?

Attachments

• First Considerations.pdf
    15.7 KB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What do you want the plane to do? A good plane to learn to fly, a trainer. Fly fast. Fly slow. Fly for a long time. Cary a load.

Each plane has strengths and weaknesses, no plane is the best at everything.

Reactions: FDS