First Trainer Questions

Nuclear Tortoise

Hello everyone!
I'm new in the forum, and a total noob on the hobby of RC Planes. So I would like to get some answers to a few questions I have...

I've decided it's time for me to build my first plane (trainer). I already have the electronics with me, but I'm not sure if I should build a plane with: Throttle, Elevators & Ailerons (It's going to be a 3 Channel plane) or should I build a Throttle, Elevators & Rudder...
If someone can give me some pros and cons of each one (Ailerons or Rudder) and wich one it's the best for a beginner, I would really appreciate it :)

Thank You for your time helping me, And sorry for my English mistakes...
Adios! Greetings from Argentina!
Frank

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
First off, welcome. Let's get right to it. As a beginner you want to worry about more than just the channel selection. You should probably build or get an airframe that is Nooby friendly. I hate using that term but hey, it works. You want something that has a wing mounted on the top of the body or fuselage rather than in the middle or on the bottom. These aircraft are more forgiving than the others as they tend to have a cradle effect and help keep it flying right side up. If you can get something with dihedral in the wings that would be favorable too. Basically for the same reasons.

I don't know your situation or whether or not you can buy stuff from companies like Horizon Hobby or not but I would at least go online and look at some of the trainer air frames for a good reference to start. If you can buy one, I would recommend something along the lines of the Super Cub LP or if you want something super small and transportable, the Champ.

Now to your question about the channel setup. I would stick with Throttle, Elevator and Rudder until you can get the basics down like takeoff, flying straight patterns in a circle and landing. The reason I say this is because with ailerons, you will get mixed up and disoriented extremely quick.

One last thing, I would order or go online and get a decent flight simulator too. This will help out with orientation and basic flight characteristics.

I hope I did not leave anything out and if you have questions, pleas feel free to ask and I can do my best to help.

Wade

earthsciteach

Wade nailed it. It is not impossible to build a trainer as your first plane, but it really complicates the learning process. The Horizon Hobby Super Cub is about the best trainer available, in my opinion. Once you have mastered it, it can be upgraded easily. There is a wealth of info on modifying this plane. I haven't lost interest in mine, yet!

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
The Horizon Hobby Super Cub is about the best trainer available, in my opinion. Once you have mastered it, it can be upgraded easily. There is a wealth of info on modifying this plane. I haven't lost interest in mine, yet!

Me eithere, I have upgraded my Super Cub to brushless and can almost do 3d flight with it. All I need to do is add ailerons. These things are tough and can easily be repaired. Not to mention that parts are always available and cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IYmDiOrns

Nuclear Tortoise

Thank you very much to both of you :) I'll see if I can get shipping to my country. Things here are very expensive... that's why I was planing on building my own plane.
Thank you guys for the advice!
I forgot to say that I'm not a noob on flying.. I have a 4 CH Heli and I can keep a decent hover.. I also spent a lot of time using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. So I kinda know what to do...

Cheers!

earthsciteach

Another good option is the Bixler/Sky Surfer. It is a very affordable, very forgiving and extremely fun airplane. Costs a lot less than the Cubby, too.

Hello everyone!
I'm new in the forum, and a total noob on the hobby of RC Planes. So I would like to get some answers to a few questions I have...

I've decided it's time for me to build my first plane (trainer). I already have the electronics with me, but I'm not sure if I should build a plane with: Throttle, Elevators & Ailerons (It's going to be a 3 Channel plane) or should I build a Throttle, Elevators & Rudder...
If someone can give me some pros and cons of each one (Ailerons or Rudder) and wich one it's the best for a beginner, I would really appreciate it :)

Thank You for your time helping me, And sorry for my English mistakes...
Adios! Greetings from Argentina!
Frank

I learned to fly after flying at my local club on a nitro .40 trainer on a simulator. I bought the RealFlight G5 and upgraded it since then to a g 5.5 If you really want a airplane to fly though it is best to get an RTF because it is really complicated as earthsciteach said. But if you're really determined and want a scratch build make the FT swappable nutball or old Fogey because they are really docile. But if you want a cheaper way of learning helis, planes, quads and all other types of craft and flying go with the simulator. Good luck man hope it turns out- and also if you do scratch build make sure you have extra material if you mess up. I also agree with you Wade.