First Twin- Question About Connections

Hayduke27

I have just about finished building the FT Guinea Pig, which will be my first twin engine airplane. I am currently connecting all of the electronics, and was hoping somebody could line me out a little on whether or not I'm doing things correctly.

As I currently have things hooked up, I have both ESCs' power connections going to a power Y-extension which connects into the battery. I then have the other ESC leads each going to another Y-harness that goes to the throttle plug in the receiver. I am not running differential thrust on the engines. Do I have things connected correctly? I haven't fired things up to test it, I wanted to ask first.

Secondly, is my y-harness to the battery the way to go, or should I just have individual extensions coming from each ESC to its own battery? Obviously that seems to be the way to go if you want an extended flight time. Is there anything wrong with running both engines off of 1 battery?

Thanks for any advice!!!

brettp2004

Yes, it sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly. Running both ESCs on one battery will be fine as long as the battery can handle the output. With only two motors, I'm sure it can but what motors/props are you running and what is the "C" rating on the battery?

Hayduke27

I am running Emaxx GT2215/09 motors with 9x6 props. My batteries are 2200 mAh and have a C rating of 35C.

I have been torn about whether or not to go with 2 batteries. Would doing so pretty much mean extending my flight time by double? If I were to do this, would you recommend I hook up a battery to each power pod, or should I put the batteries in a series?

Thanks for the help!

OkieDave

I am running Emaxx GT2215/09 motors with 9x6 props. My batteries are 2200 mAh and have a C rating of 35C.

I have been torn about whether or not to go with 2 batteries. Would doing so pretty much mean extending my flight time by double? If I were to do this, would you recommend I hook up a battery to each power pod, or should I put the batteries in a series?

Thanks for the help!

Series would double the S value (i.e. turn a pair of 3S into one 6S) and potentially cook some things. You want to connect them in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) to extend your runtime.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The easiest way to connect 2 batteries would be one per motor. Otherwise you need 2 Y harnesses for no practical benefit. Dave is correct, connecting the batteries in series is not what you want. Assuming your ESC's didn't automatically burst into flames, your motors certainly would after a few seconds in the air ;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just remember to remove one of the positive power wires from the ESCs into the "Y" harness which in turn plugs into the Rx.