Fixing a fibreglass pod and boom glider

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Spring has sprung with gusto on the East Coast of Australia. I haven't flown for a while due to a number of factors, including losing interest, bad weather, flying buddies being too busy to fly and getting bitten by the cycling bug.

However today I brushed the dust off my eHawk 1500, which has pretty much been my favourite plane for a long time. The weather promised thermals aplenty and didn't disappoint. After my 3rd landing, which wasn't that rough, I picked up the plane and the boom felt a little floppy. The fibreglass pod has broken a little on one side where it goes into the boom. The opposite side also has a little crack in the pod end.

I'm guessing these things have happened from landing it on less-than-wonderful surfaces. I've never fixed fibreglass like this before. Is there a way to do it that a. doesn't look terrible, b. is lightweight, and c. looks OK?

CAM00004.jpg

earthsciteach

Let me see if I read this correctly. THe pod is cracked, but the boom is fine. And, the back end of the pod sleeved INTO the boom. Did I get that right?

If so, can you replace the portion of the pod that sleeves into the boom with a rod of the appropriate diameter? You could epoxy it in place.

FeWolf

Several things you can do.
I cut foam board to the inside diameter. Then put expoxy glue on the round disc. inserted and she is very strong.
Another is pvc pipe replacement or cut a small piece oc pvc pipe say 2in in length. The pipe should be alittle bigger then the rod you are fixing. Cut a slot the lenght of the pipe. Keep checking to see if it will fit snug inside. When it does glue it in. I prefer hot glue on this system. It fill nicely and absorbs shock.
1 other thing I do adds alittle weight but works great. I fill mine with liquid expanding foam. Strong , light and bonds well.

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Correct Teach, the pod is cracked and the boom is 100% perfect. Internal reinforcement is tricky because the V-tail pushrods go through the booms. I'm thinking of perhaps 3-4 short lengths (~1-1.5") of 1mm cf parallel to the fuse on the outside, bound with nylon or cotton and a nice layer of epoxy over the top, fishing rod line guide style. But at the same time I'm a little uncertain about the structural integrity of the pod now...

earthsciteach

You should be able to reinforce the pod with cheap fiberglass cloth/polyester resin. Wrapping the boom with line or thread and epoxying (fishing rod guide style) should work well, too. I've done that on a couple of things. One was a carbon fiber trebuchet arm and the other a wing spar. Both worked nicely.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Ugh, binding it up takes FOREVER! I've got five 1mm spars around the join and have glued the break. Wish I had some sort of sleeve I could put over it and shrink...

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
130909-01.JPG
Some new epoxi and black vinyl "electrical" tape. Has worked for med the last 3 years without any problems.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, my repair ended up being something similar (with black electrical tape), except I've got the 5 spars ca'd across the join as well. Looks better than I expected, almost like it was supposed to be... I'll post a pic when I get home.