FL Panhandle aka North West Florida, Who is Flying in the Area?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok everyone. There has to be someone out there in this area. This part of the country seems to be a bit of an RC black hole, but I know you guys are out there.

Where are you flying? Where are you buying?

I've moved off the beach and up along I-10 There doesn't seem to be much immediately around me for flying sites. I'm hoping to find a new spot though.

Blackbeltrrf

I am actually in Evansville Indiana but my son lives in Pensacola and we go down there every couple of months and sometimes I take a plane or two with me to fly while there. Are you close to there?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It's a little over an hour drive, so "close enough" I'd love to do a museum tour with fellow Flite Test fans. I'm sure you have been to the museum on the NAS.

Fred

Spastickitten

Ooh I love the museum in pensacola, one of my favorites! Went there with my grandfather 5 or 6 years ago, I'd like to go again sometime.

Blackbeltrrf

It's a little over an hour drive, so "close enough" I'd love to do a museum tour with fellow Flite Test fans. I'm sure you have been to the museum on the NAS.

Fred

Been there many times. I love it! I will most certainly post the next time we go and maybe we can meet you there that would be fun. As a matter of fact my avitar is there with the Corsair and my son.

MoD_Doc

Hey Monkey I'm located between you and p-cola, been looking for some good folks to go flying with and would also love to show off the navy museum, don't forget the Air Force Armory Museum in Eglin too!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Of course not. But unfortunately for the Eglin one... the Pensacola museum blows it away.

Let's set up a trip there!

Also, first weekend (Fri and Sat) of March, Perry GA, there's a swap meet for RC stuff, and I am going. So is Joel from the Community Cast, and a guy that's from Fort Walton. Plus whoever else we can get together.

Fred

MoD_Doc

yea I know ... Navy always gets the cool stuff..... I haven't been out there in a few years and wouldn't mind meeting up and chatting with you guys just let me know when

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ugh!

I moved. I'm a little under an hour north of there right now.

Where abouts in SRB are you staying, and don't say Topsail.

Fred

anammox

Ugh!

I moved. I'm a little under an hour north of there right now.

Where abouts in SRB are you staying, and don't say Topsail.

Fred

I don't consider an hour too far away if I get to pick your brain and try on some goggles!!

I'm staying at my family's house, near Dune Allen Beach.

anammox

That would be awesome! I'm happy to travel to your area too if it's more convenient. The only thing I fly right now is a hubsan h107d, and I'm not bringing that with me, so I'm just in as a curious audience member. Keep me posted and send me a PM if it ends up working out for you and we can make a plan.

bhinman1

I'm in Daphne, AL, which is about a 35 minute drive from Pensacola. I'm new so having a tough time keeping planes together. Lots of hot glue and tape!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You guys should see if they would let you on the beach at Pensacola air station to film some FPV flying on the aircrew school obstacle course. I know it used to kick my behind first thing in the morning after a hard nights drinking to practice drunken survival skills. More then one morning I fed the crabs my breakfast there. Maybe if you ask nice you could ride the Dilbert dunker too!

Or maybe if its still around you could do indoor FPV at a club called 2001. I spent many a night there too.

Too bad you are pretty far from NAS Jacksonville. There were many cool places to fly out that way too

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
As much as I respect the MP's I will not try to spend any time with them by flying at the NAS. :D

Unfortunately summer is kicking my butt time wise since this is very much the busy season at my day job.

I will be making some trips around the area with my flying devices once things slow down to a dull roar again.

KingofSmack

Hey Monkey,

I'm in Baker, FL but grew up in Niceville. I'm a member of the Eglin Aero Modelers. I'm actually over in Ponce de Leon a couple times a year doing check dives on my scuba equipment at Vortex Springs. I'd love to get together with some other FT fans. Funny side note, I did an internship at the Air Force Armement Museum when I was in high school. Yes, the one in Pensacola is better, but it's the National Museum of Naval Aviation. The one in Ft. Walton focuses more on weapons due to Eglin's history as a test base.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
You might find it interesting that where I used to work was one of the test places for the stolen V1 rockets of Germany WWII. We (the USA) captured some, and reverse engineered them. And the section of beach in Santa Rosa Beach across from the Publix is where they took the renamed JB-2 rockets for testing.

In the Coffeen Preserve there's still the ramp system, the concrete foundation for the steam plant, and a couple concrete bunkers. In the state park to the east, the metal mesh they laid down to allow the trucks to drive to the site without sinking in the sand can still be found sticking out of the dunes.

I was just in Baker last week. Love the little cracker homestead museum. We stopped there on our way to the NAS, where we did not visit the museum, but did go to Fort Barrancas.

KingofSmack

I did know that about the V1, but I've never been to see it. As I said in my introduction post, our club field is on one of the runways used by the Doolittle Raiders. Yea, the museum is kinda cool. There are pictures in the National Archive of the old co-op that was just up the road from my house. The part of Baker I live in was a planned community set up by the government to encourage agriculture during the depression. There was an old Creek Indian school a couple miles from here too. You know, I just realized I'm talking with the famous Flying Monkey. I was listening to one of the old podcasts today, and the guys were talking about you.