Flaps on Carbon Cub s+

Andtei77

Hi, I'm new in here, and pretty new to the hobby.
A while ago I bought an E-flite Carbon Cub S+ 1,3M. I love the plane! It flies great. Now I am planning to install flaps. Currently, I’m using a Spektrum DX6 transmitter, and I have read that you’ll need at least a 7-channel transmitter to use the flaps.
My question: Is it possible to remove the GPS-unit (i don’t use it)? Will that «give me» a free channel for the flaps servo?

FDS

Elite member
You will find the load imposed by flaps on the BEC may be too big, even if you can free up the channel. Flaps are asking the servo to remain in position, where it draws more current.
You can run flaps on a 6 ch fine, just not one with SAFE on it, as that uses the spare channels.
Why not build a Simple Cub or Bushwhacker and put flaps on it? If you use the plans and DTFB it’s going to be pretty cheap and both those would offer good progression from the plane you have.

Andtei77

You will find the load imposed by flaps on the BEC may be too big, even if you can free up the channel. Flaps are asking the servo to remain in position, where it draws more current.
You can run flaps on a 6 ch fine, just not one with SAFE on it, as that uses the spare channels.
Why not build a Simple Cub or Bushwhacker and put flaps on it? If you use the plans and DTFB it’s going to be pretty cheap and both those would offer good progression from the plane you have.
Thanks! Yes, maybe my next step, would be building a plane...

FDS

Elite member
It’s great fun and both those are not hard to build. The Legacy is good with flaps too.

moret

First, Yes you can remove the GPS unit, I have done so on mine. I did it to prevent any fly-a-ways. Like my champ S+ did. I have not tried to set up flaps. BUT if you are running 6 servos you will need more than a 3 amp BEC. The FT 35 A ESC that comes in the power pack "C" is only a 3 amp BEC. Ask me how I know 6 servos will cause a brown out and the servos will lock up. Plane will crash. I did not find the specs on the cub's ESC/BEC
Good luck

Reactions: FDS

quorneng

Master member
Does a servo draw current simply because it is stationary when off centre?
No it doesn't - unless the load is high from really fast flight or, more likely, from stiff hinges and mechanically inefficient linkage.
In my case 7 servos (4 of them moving flaps) off a 3A BEC no problem.

CheckMySix

I built the simple cub and added flaps. Couple of different mods actually and love them. Assign a channel and switch on the Dx6e and then you have the flap setting menu. Works great. So much fun on a breezy day. Can land like the turbo timber! On the 35amp ESC and C motor pack and 3s 1550 battery....never have a power problem.
That's what is so great about FT builds. No real rules. Try something out and if it doesn't work...get a new sheet of foamboard and try again!

wallykimball

Question: I am obviously new here and having problems figuring out servo electronics/controls and channel assignments. I want to add a servo to an Eflight Apprentice to operate bombay doors using a Spektrum DX6. There are currently no wiring to the ports marked Aux1 and Aux2. Based upon comment, it appears I cannot use either the empty Aux1 or Aux2 ports because SAFE uses the spare channels? Any help/confirmation appreciated.