Help! Flaps on FT Mustang 1400mm

Skrawn

Hey guys,

I have taken the FT Mustang, and scaled it up to 1400mm and added flaps. The plane is a mix of foam board and balsa and weighs approx 3kg with an Emax GT4030/08 motor and 2x X-power 5000mah batteries.

I have set the flaps to approx 45°(half), and approx 60°(full), and haven't had any strange behaviour to speak of, however, are these settings correct, and is there actually "proper" settings I should rather be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Daniel

Tench745

Master member
On the full scale Mustang, flaps settings are from 0°-50°. Typically anything up to about 30° will increase lift and allow you to fly slower without stalling, 30° and up won't add much more lift but will add drag and slow the plane down. That said, I would make your half more like 30° and full more like 50°.

Skrawn

On the full scale Mustang, flaps settings are from 0°-50°. Typically anything up to about 30° will increase lift and allow you to fly slower without stalling, 30° and up won't add much more lift but will add drag and slow the plane down. That said, I would make your half more like 30° and full more like 50°.

Thank you for the reply. Will give it a go and see how it performs.

Cheers!

Beavis

See pics in post 11.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/e-flite-p-47-flight-without-crash.53428/

I did this, and it took my FT Mustang from good to great.

I used the lowest servo throw capability (inside hole an the servo arm, outer hole on the control surface horn). I have no special expo or rate set on the flap switch, just full travel. With those settings, I found that my "coming in hot" landings became gentle touches. I also discovered that flaps are perfect for those times when I want a gentle and lazy flight session, even from a warbird! I use mid flaps for takeoff, and full flaps for landing.

The only problem I have is that I am now spoiled with flaps!