Flaps on my new Parkzone T-28 Trojan

Justin

So I recently ordered a Parkzone T-28 Trojan as a second plane. My first plane was the Super Cub Lp. I learned how to fly on the Cub and now ready for the next step. I ordered the plane from HorizonHobby and based on the videos, reviews, and the call I made to order the plane, it is apparently a great second plane. In the second video of your beginner series, however, you guys said to avoid warbirds. I also ordered a Spektrum DX6i for my first transmitter (excluding the one that came with the Super Cub). I am so excited for the order to come in in three days on Thursday. I do live in Atlanta and there are not many great places to fly. I found a field at an elementary school just a mile from my house. It is the best area I found so far. I was previously flying on a baseball field at my local park, just 0.3 miles farther. It was not very good because I almost hit a light pole as there are many throughout the park. They do help in the evenings, however. After my close encounter with one of the poles I decided to look for another place to fly. My backyard is no place to fly as it is tiny and covered with trees. My front yard is debatable though. My house is on a hill so i have a better view of the plane. The only problem are houses, lots of them. There is a street, but my dad does not want me flying there. Back to the elementary school, the field is not that long and there are tall Georgia pine trees on the end of my runway. I usually landed my Super Cub about one third to one half of the way down my landing strip. I had to clear over poles, but it was not a big problem. I know that the T-28 will be a faster plane and I was wondering if you guys had plans for flaps on the Parkzone T-28 Trojan I'll take them. Thank you for your consideration :)

Sledge

I can't advise on plans for adding flaps to a T-28 but i would steer clear from flying over people's homes. Flaps can slow airspeed when approaching a runway but you do have to know how to use them. i would get a simulator to practice on. i have had luck with Clearview Rc Flight sim with a gws cable to connect my dx6i to the computer.

lonewolf7717

Flaps on the T-28 is a popular modification both because it aids in slowing flight a tad in a stable manner, shortens landings and for some adds to the scale look.
1. Measure twice cut once: break out the ruler, good pen and a fresh sharp razor.
2. Bevel underside of flap at 45 degree angle to allow for throw.
3. install three hinges equally spaced along newly cut out flap, cut corresponding slits in wing to receive hinge.
4. Glue in place....this part is critical, if whatever adhesive you are using sets in place prior to getting alignment correct you are out of luck ( i advise making several dry fits first to test fit and finish)
5. control horns/ push rod hardware (your choice)
6. 9g servo pockets cut into wing....again measure and mark twice, cut once
7. two servos, one of which has been internally reversed (my preference) or utilize a reversing y extension
8. install said servos, hook up linkage and adjust
9. program radio: you really need a radio with a servo slow and mixing/switch assignment capability

see following links
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793512

Hinge suggestion
t355_5a4048fbf4eb0fe64801b2bf0d6f94e7.jpg

Servo reversing y
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17033__turnigy_servo_signal_reverser.html

vid walk through of internal servo reverse option
http://youtu.be/4n1ec2w21pA

there are a few vids on youtube of flap mods to the t-28 but quite frankly I didn't like any of them as good examples of how to do this but I suggest you watch a few for reference.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would say try to find a larger area, at least for the maiden and a couple of flights after. That will give you a better idea of how the plane reacts, give you a chance to trim it out with minimal pressure, and give you a chance to shoot a few approaches with a little more room to get a handle on the planes characteristics when low and slow. Warbirds usually don't like the combination...so try it high first.

Justin

Flaps on the T-28 is a popular modification both because it aids in slowing flight a tad in a stable manner, shortens landings and for some adds to the scale look.
1. Measure twice cut once: break out the ruler, good pen and a fresh sharp razor.
2. Bevel underside of flap at 45 degree angle to allow for throw.
3. install three hinges equally spaced along newly cut out flap, cut corresponding slits in wing to receive hinge.
4. Glue in place....this part is critical, if whatever adhesive you are using sets in place prior to getting alignment correct you are out of luck ( i advise making several dry fits first to test fit and finish)
5. control horns/ push rod hardware (your choice)
6. 9g servo pockets cut into wing....again measure and mark twice, cut once
7. two servos, one of which has been internally reversed (my preference) or utilize a reversing y extension
8. install said servos, hook up linkage and adjust
9. program radio: you really need a radio with a servo slow and mixing/switch assignment capability

see following links
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793512

Hinge suggestion
View attachment 15238

Servo reversing y
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17033__turnigy_servo_signal_reverser.html

vid walk through of internal servo reverse option
http://youtu.be/4n1ec2w21pA

there are a few vids on youtube of flap mods to the t-28 but quite frankly I didn't like any of them as good examples of how to do this but I suggest you watch a few for reference.
I've never replied with a quote before so I hope this works. Thank you for the information. Looking at the way you did it it does not look like you reversed a servo as you had a bent push rod. I am not into saudering yet and I will probably be ending up using the servo inverting cable (I don't think this is a Y cable, but thats fine). I'm not going to put flaps on before I maiden it and Im sure that the flaps mod wont be very soon. Thanks again!

lonewolf7717

Actually none of the examples I provided were of my planes.....but the best advice so far was to fly the plane first and get comfortable before diving into flaps and it looks like you are following that advice. One other tid bit, the t-28 is about the best choice you could have made for a first warbird. Yes they can be a handful to fly but the t-28 is the most forgiving, easiest to fly of the bunch by a long shot. Best of luck.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Let's hope the "t" in T-28 lives up to it's name. You know, T for trainer, F for fighter, B for bomber, A for attack...

Anyhoo, good luck!