"FLAPS" on the 150 Commuter ??

CheckMySix

I've just built an FT Commuter. For the hell of it, I've programmed flaperons. In a tx like the Futaba T6K the way you can do it is with the Air Brake function. Just set the ailerons to down... I haven't flown it so won't switch it on until I'm way up high...but judging by the posts, I doubt it is much of a good idea anyway for this plane so it will just be to experiment.

I used flaperons on my old Park zone corsair years ago and...they worked. I love just shooting approaches, landings and touch and goes and it slowed it down for landing for sure. It can get a little wonky for sure but it's just practice like anything else or...fly, crash, repair, repeat! 😉😁

CheckMySix

I've just built an FT Commuter. For the hell of it, I've programmed flaperons. In a tx like the Futaba T6K the way you can do it is with the Air Brake function. Just set the ailerons to down... I haven't flown it so won't switch it on until I'm way up high...but judging by the posts, I doubt it is much of a good idea anyway for this plane so it will just be to experiment.

Now air breaks...that sounds like fun!

basslord1124

Master member
On the Commuter I wouldn't recommend it unless they were full length flaperons as mentioned.

Here's an idea for something that you could either do in place of the Commuter or alongside the Commuter...check out @Grifflyer and his Shrubsmacker. It's a small high wing plane like the Commuter that is sort of geared at being a STOL plane that you can add flaps too easily. You can check out the full size Bushwacker from Flitetest to get an idea...it's like that, but a smaller version about the size of the Commuter. Fly it like a standard high wing and get the feel for flaps if you want and you could also get into more advanced flying with it. I have no experience with it myself, but it looks like fun and I'm going to build it over winter.

CheckMySix

On the Commuter I wouldn't recommend it unless they were full length flaperons as mentioned.

Here's an idea for something that you could either do in place of the Commuter or alongside the Commuter...check out @Grifflyer and his Shrubsmacker. It's a small high wing plane like the Commuter that is sort of geared at being a STOL plane that you can add flaps too easily. You can check out the full size Bushwacker from Flitetest to get an idea...it's like that, but a smaller version about the size of the Commuter. Fly it like a standard high wing and get the feel for flaps if you want and you could also get into more advanced flying with it. I have no experience with it myself, but it looks like fun and I'm going to build it over winter.
One thing I like about going with flaps on a spektrum radio is in the flap settings you can add some down elevator to compensate and slow down how fast the flaps deploy. I set to 4s and a 3 step button. 25/50 on the flaps and 5 down elevator. Just enough to keep you from that nose up effect from the flaps coming down. Pretty slick.
But yea..really need that right type of plane to handle flaps. You really need at least 1/3 flap 2/3 aileron ratio control surface length at least IMHO.