Flat bottom wing spar

Plane

Hi
I justed wondered if this wing spar would work on a flat bottom wing it 6 inch along with a 1 inch height just wondered if it would work if not is there any why to approve it
Thanks for you Time and your help

Attachments

• F39AE8EE-2531-4326-A641-A76E1089D118.jpeg
    F39AE8EE-2531-4326-A641-A76E1089D118.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

d8veh

Elite member
6:1 is about right, but your photo shows less than 5:1 so it looks a bit fat.

I make a 1" wide section, so that I can plan the construction:
build 1.jpg

GMalatrasi

Hi
I justed wondered if this wing spar would work on a flat bottom wing it 6 inch along with a 1 inch height just wondered if it would work if not is there any why to approve it
Thanks for you Time and your help

FYI: The spar runs along the length of the wing:
Spar.png

What you show in this picture is a rib.

Good luck with your build!

quorneng

Master member
Your picture shows a wing rib.
It creates the wing 'section' that determine the ratio of lift and drag generated as it travels through the air.
The classic Clark Y wing section does have a flat underside over most (2/3) of the underside and has a thickness to chord ratio of 11.7 so is much thinner than the section you as showing.
Clarky.JPG

A true flat bottom section is a bit less efficient and can have odd characteristics at the stall than one with a proper rounded leading edge.

In general at model sizes a thicker the section does give more lift but the drag it creates rises faster than the increase in lift so you need more power.
I hope this helps.

Plane

Rib
Your picture shows a wing rib.
It creates the wing 'section' that determine the ratio of lift and drag generated as it travels through the air.
The classic Clark Y wing section does have a flat underside over most (2/3) of the underside and has a thickness to chord ratio of 11.7 so is much thinner than the section you as showing.
View attachment 119670
A true flat bottom section is a bit less efficient and can have odd characteristics at the stall than one with a proper rounded leading edge.

In general at model sizes a thicker the section does give more lift but the drag it creates rises faster than the increase in lift so you need more power.
I hope this helps.
Thank you
Does this look more like it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0