Flerkin issues

Miznike

So I built my flerkin. I have attempted flight 3 times now. I am flying B motor and 3 cell. I am having issues gaining altitude. I think it’s under powered. I just need more thrust. So I have my CG where it is supposed to be from the videos. I added some light weight fiberglass with epoxy resin to add durability. Well now after the last crash this thing ripped in half. I was very careful to not add too much weight. I have ordered the Aura 5 to add some stabilization on this thing. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• 71C10C94-38E0-473E-9907-39D0BF0EA016.jpeg
    71C10C94-38E0-473E-9907-39D0BF0EA016.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BFFDC108-91D5-450D-A62B-F3CE5B65927D.jpeg
    BFFDC108-91D5-450D-A62B-F3CE5B65927D.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 676C370D-0E68-464F-96BE-298356B3B2D3.jpeg
    676C370D-0E68-464F-96BE-298356B3B2D3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A79D8D3-1C02-4010-A0AA-346311C195F0.jpeg
    5A79D8D3-1C02-4010-A0AA-346311C195F0.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
So I built my flerkin. I have attempted flight 3 times now. I am flying B motor and 3 cell. I am having issues gaining altitude. I think it’s under powered. I just need more thrust. So I have my CG where it is supposed to be from the videos. I added some light weight fiberglass with epoxy resin to add durability. Well now after the last crash this thing ripped in half. I was very careful to not add too much weight. I have ordered the Aura 5 to add some stabilization on this thing. Does anyone have any advice?
just a question, what fiberglass and epoxy do you use? sorry this isn't about your question

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Are you Using a B Pack motor (2212-1050kV) or the Budget B motor (2212-1250kV)? The Budget B (higher kV) motor is the one that is spec'd for this airframe. Also, I believe the power requirements for the Flerken on the B size motor is for a 4S battery. You are likely underpowered with your setup. But, this is all based on the specs as I have not personally built or flown one yet.

XDmToter

The best advice I ever received when learning to build and fly was this:

Build it to fly, not to crash.

If you add a lot of reinforcements for strength in the hopes of surviving a crash, you are also adding a lot of weight. More weight means it won't fly as well, and you are actually More likely to crash. Light weight planes just fly better. Also, by adding more weight, you have more kinetic energy for those unexpected landings. That energy has to go somewhere, and is often transferred to the weakest point, which then fails. That looks like what you have here with a very strong wing that transferred the energy from the crash to the weakest point. A lighter plane may have just wrinkled a wingtip or something.

Now, if you are purposely building a plane for Streamer Combat or something, where mid air collisions are expected, then I would definitely add some additional structural integrity in key areas. Just don't over do it.

Don't hate on me too much, but I think the Flite Test crew did the community a disservice with the fiberglass covered plane video. There are very specific use cases for adding such strength, but the average pilot here just needs to keep it light.

Piotrsko

Master member
Flying wings are not forgiving. Too much up trim also looks like not enough motor power. Typical scenario is it won't climb, so you add more up instead of flying faster. No pictures or video so it's all circumstantial evidence

Miznike

Thank you guys for your input. I do agree with the weight adding. I added as little weight as I could and from a materials stand point with the fiber glassing. The glass was very light and I used about 25 ml of epoxy spread with a squeegee. I did this because both times it crashed it just broke apart and required lots of repair. I am flying the B motor. I’m going to rebuild and try a 4 cell. In the meantime I bought a night timber x to play with. Seems much more durable so far. I also think the plane require more skill than I possess currently. I will keep practicing. I really love the building process. Currently building a large trainer for my sons to learn with. Using some scrap foam from my neighbors bathroom remodel.

Aslansmonkey

I didn't reinforce mine and have the "Budget" B pack in it. It doesn't balance with a 3 cell so I fly it with a 4 cell. It flies just fine like that though.

Miznike

I didn't reinforce mine and have the "Budget" B pack in it. It doesn't balance with a 3 cell so I fly it with a 4 cell. It flies just fine like that though.
I definitely agree with the CG being weird with 3S. I felt like it did not balance out very well and seemed unstable.

Piotrsko

Master member
Video just helps the forum help you find and fix things.

Oh and sometimes we snicker in the background, just because it's funny